Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Polar Flights - how close can you go?

Gerry, I'm not flying directly over the north pole.

Then why did you ask "Polar Flights - how close can you go"?

Because I wanted to know the closest safe distance. I've provided a plan where one waypoint is 88° 35'. Will the aircraft fly to and from that point successfully?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks James. Unlikely I'll be able to use those as Concorde has a range of 4000nm. But informative none the less.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The issue with polar routings is you have to have a good era, and etp diversion airfields for er ops. Hence why aca use the 777 on the yyz to hkg route..oh and the aircraft has to be polar equipped and the crew polar trained (to fly above 70n off the top of my head)

14ppkc-6.png

Pete,

Concorde probably never flew polar routes because of its 4000nm range.

I've chosen the worst time of the year to try EFHK-PANC as both are above 60N so have minimal daylight. I'll switch to summer when I try it.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've flown a few polar flights with no difficulty. I think you will be fine as long as you don't fly directly over the pole point.

Thought the question is, is the problem caused by the geographical pole or the magnetc pole? Hahah--I don't think you will have too many issues.

Jim Atkins

Hi Jim,

I'd be surprised if the magnetic north pole was modelled in FSX. It is after all, just a 'game' although I prefer to consider it a simulation. The clue is in the title eh? :wink:

I don't propose flying further north than 88° 35'N which hopefully will result in a problem free flight.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'd regard that as a mammoth achievement since the magnetic pole changes constantly, so it's safe to say it isn't modelled.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Magnetic declination is modelled in FSX - see magdec.bgl.

Magnetic declination is modelled in FSX - see magdec.bgl.

Yes, but not the actual variation of the real magnetic pole's position. I'll bet it is a fixed position.

The location of the magnetic north pole isn't a fixed position  it's actually moving by about 55 km/year to the north-northwest. Its 2010 position is 84.97°N and 132.35°W - that's quite a distance from true north pole. Also, it's position is of no relevance to navigation.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/GeomagneticPoles.shtml

The location of the magnetic north pole isn't a fixed position 

In FSX it is and seeing this is an FSX forum I can, with a 99% confidence level on a normal bell distribution curve, state that we are not talking about the real world.

I can also state that this would hold up in any court of law, has nothing to do with copyright law, has noththing to do with the FSX activation servers, or any other legal situation that anyone can relate this to, especially our resident legal intern.

In FSX it is

What are the fixed coordinates  of both the magnetic poles in FSX and where can they be found in FSX?

The location of the magnetic north pole isn't a fixed position 

My point exactly. I bet that the movement of the magnetic pole isn't modelled in FSX.

It does impact navigation as magnetic headings of for instance runways are changed. Recently my home airport changed its runway heading from 15 to 14 because of the changes in magnetic heading.