Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Polar Flights - how close can you go?

As

My point exactly. I bet that the movement of the magnetic pole isn't modelled in FSX.

My point exactly. I bet that the movement of the magnetic pole isn't modelled in FSX.

It does impact navigation as magnetic headings of for instance runways are changed. Recently my home airport changed its runway heading from 15 to 14 because of the changes in magnetic heading.

Then what are the coordinates of the magnetic poles (fixed or otherwise) and where are they in FSX?

The position of bthe north or south magnetic poles has nothing to do with navigation. Runway headings are based on magnetic declination which is "the angle between the magnetic and geographic meridians at any place".

Hi Ray,  I use a free online program at SimBrief.com Its the very best flightplan program that I have ever used for flight sim and its free.  You have to register and there is a little tutorial video that will get you started.  I am sure you will find it quite useful and get you some flightplans going very close to the north pole.

Hope this helps let me know how it all works out

As

Then what are the coordinates of the magnetic poles (fixed or otherwise) and where are they in FSX?

The position of bthe north or south magnetic poles has nothing to do with navigation. Runway headings are based on magnetic declination which is "the angle between the magnetic and geographic meridians at any place".

I have no idea where the magnetic poles are in FSX. Please enlighten me.

So you're saying that the angle between the magnetic and geographic meridians have nothing to do with the magnetic declination of the magnetic poles?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Hi Ray,  I use a free online program at SimBrief.com Its the very best flightplan program that I have ever used for flight sim and its free.  You have to register and there is a little tutorial video that will get you started.  I am sure you will find it quite useful and get you some flightplans going very close to the north pole.

Hope this helps let me know how it all works out

Hi William,

Thanks for the recommendation but I have PFPX and the route I posted a few days ago was made with it. How it works out in practice remains to be seen.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have no idea where the magnetic poles are in FSX. Please enlighten me.

So you're saying that the angle between the magnetic and geographic meridians have nothing to do with the magnetic declination of the magnetic poles?

Etc...

Guys, my original post about the 2 poles was an attempt at jocularity that was lost in translation.....

Jim Atkins

Etc...

Guys, my original post about the 2 poles was an attempt at jocularity that was lost in translation.....

Still, it is quite interresting to discover what is and isn't modelled in the FSX terrain/scenery engine... :)

What are the fixed coordinates  of both the magnetic poles in FSX and where can they be found in FSX?

I consulted with my lawyer and he advised me not to release this classified FBI information. 

Read this thread with interest even though I wont be doing a polar flight anytime soon. 

To Ray Proudfoot I say...

"Stop singing it and start bringing it!"  Where's your adventurous spirit?  You already have your flightplan, what are you waiting for someone else to fly it and tell you it's O.K.?  Saddle up Big Man, light the reheat on your Concord and  tell us it's safe to pass, maybe one of us will follow your lead?  All this back an forth about is it possible...at Mach 1.5 you'd already know by now had you just launched.

I know your real world time is precious and limited I'm puling for you...Document your adventure with screenshots and dialog and share with us n the screenshot forum. 

Best wishes and luck,

Robert

RE Thomason Jr.

Yes, but not the actual variation of the real magnetic pole's position. I'll bet it is a fixed position.

Do you know where it is or have you lost your bet?

No it doesn't.

I consulted with my lawyer and he advised me not to release this classified FBI information.

Then your lawyer doesn't know what he's talking about.

To Ray Proudfoot I say...

"Stop singing it and start bringing it!" Where's your adventurous spirit? You already have your flightplan, what are you waiting for someone else to fly it and tell you it's O.K.? ...I know your real world time is precious and limited I'm puling for you...Document your adventure with screenshots and dialog and share with us n the screenshot forum.

Blaze, All good things come to he who waits. :BigGrin:  I haven't had the time yet but should do this week. Not expecting anyone else to fly it before me. We Brits do have a sense of adventure you know. :wink:

Not sure a screenshot of a predominantly white aircraft flying in the Arctic would be that visible. :Big Grin:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not sure a screenshot of a predominantly white aircraft flying in the Arctic would be that visible. :Big Grin:

He he. Maybe we should call it "Whitebird" - The British equivalent of the SR-71 Blackbird. :)

Blaze, All good things come to he who waits. :BigGrin:

Yes indeed looking forward to reading your reports!

We Brits do have a sense of adventure you know. :wink:

Agree Completely; Shackleton comes to mind although the wrong pole...LOL :lol:

You might be surprised, the shot you provided previously was pretty damn cool (The 737)  After all this banter you rockin the NP in the Concorde (especially this time of year)  could end up on the EPIC scale!!!!

RE Thomason Jr.

Agree Completely; Shackleton comes to mind although the wrong pole...LOL :lol:

Scott too. :(

You might be surprised, the shot you provided previously was pretty damn cool (The 737) After all this banter you rockin the NP in the Concorde (especially this time of year) could end up on the EPIC scale!!!!

Well if you want a screenshot I'm going to have to switch seasons. At those latitudes there little or no daylight as we near the Winter Solstice. But I'll try not to disappoint. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Interesting mgh.  I see you quoted from Wiki.

Here's another one from Wiki:

The angle between the magnetic and the true meridian is the magnetic declination, which is relevant for navigating with a compass.