I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and MOBO for FSX. Currently I'm running a 3570K at 4.5GHz with an Asus Maximus V Formula Z77 Mobo - it runs fine but I wouldn't mind boosting FPS a little on approach. I've been thinking about getting the 4790K and Maximus VII Formula, but I've also be eyeing the Haswell-E CPUs - specifically the 5820K and 5930K. What kind of overclocks are being achieved on average with these 3 CPUs and how are they performing with FSX. I know the 4790K is pretty solid, but the extra cores with the -E series will help with FTX global/vector and my other addon scenery. Is it even worth upgrading now, or should I wait until next year when Broadwell and Skylake hit the market? Thanks in advance for any feedback. 

The 4790 is considerably faster on a per-core basis than the 5820 (6 cores) or 5960 (8 cores), and in CPU benchmarks it excels. Not to mention a LOT cheaper - the 5960 is over a grand vs $300+ for the 4790.

However, additional cores would be interesting to try. My rig (4770K running at 4.2 GHz) has cores 1,2, and 3 often maxed out, with core 0 running at 50-percent doing "other stuff". Two additional cores running addon stuff may be beneficial.

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

I might be wrong but I think you need to watercool to get the 6 and 8 core chips to a decent overclock.

A full platform upgrade with expensive CPUs and DDR4 plus potential cooling expense in my opinion is not worth it, regardless of whether it gives you a few fps etc...and I haven't read one story about anyone going Haswell-E from a 4ghz+ quad core and being impressed.

I believe it can help with texture loading but that's all.

At this point (4790k/970/2400c11/SSD) I think I will be waiting a long time to upgrade just for FSX.

Just wait for the new architecture - Skylake - the "tock" in the tick tock cycle of Intel's roadmap since 07. Releasing sometime 2015.

I'm kinda in the same boat (older CPU though). I'm probably getting a gtx 970 because P3D and xp10 aren't doing so well, same with BF4. But at some point I'll need to upgrade my almost 4 year old system.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |