Sign in to follow this  
Ken Pryor

Back in the saddle

I took a long break from FS and have slowly been getting back into it. I'm finding I've forgotten much of what little I previously knew. Not long before taking my break, I bought the PMDG 737NG for FS9 but never really did anything with it. I'm trying now to get the hang of it and going nuts trying to autoland. I'm using the guide by Mike Ray and it's very helpful, but I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong. In the first tutorial flight, I take off from 34R and everything goes great until about a mile from landing on 16L. Suddenly, the second autopilot just shuts off and I'm on my own. Don't know if I'm getting too slow or what the heck is going on.

Other than that, I'm greatly enjoying being back in the world of FS.

Ken

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Since this is a PMDG question, you may get better technical help about the aircraft systems over on their forums.

Welcome back.

Hello Ken, I'll take a wild guess that your altitude or airspeed were slightly above what they needed  to be as you intercepted the ILS,   Slow her down some, and check the PAPI lights and/or ILS localizer and glide slope indicators on your PFD screen, to get a handle on your position relative to the runway

Also, check to confirm that the auto-throttle, flight director, LNAV and one of the Auto Pilot buttons in the MCP are all engaged for normal auto-flight, prior to reaching your glide slope intersection point, and then, when your ILS signals come alive, hit the LOC button, followed quickly by the APP button, at which point all (2 or 3) autopilot lights should illuminate, to confirm that an autoland has been initiated, which automatically de-selects the LNAV mode that was active up to that point. 

The Embraer and Airbus jets are a lot more reliant on precise airspeed management, altitude and flap settings, as prerequisites before autoland can be actuated, but the Boeing airliners are slightly less demanding in that regard, whereby autoland can be invoked even if the planets aren't perfectly aligned. 

Thanks guys. I seem to either come in way too hot or way too slow and wind up on my belly a few miles too soon. I guess it's just a matter of needing lots and lots of practice. I have to admit, even though it's frustrating sometimes, it's a great deal of fun. Glad to be back in the saddle.

Welcome Ken.

Not very glamorous compared to the thrill of landing, however lots of homework to do with the FMC with particular emphasis on hitting correct waypoints, speed restrictions, flap extensions etc. Try to get airport plates available on the internet, often free.

It is easy for the aircraft to get ahead of you particularly as we simmers do not have co-pilots to share the load. Continue to study Mike Ray and PMDG's manual and above all practice, practice, practice.

Thanks! You're absolutely right. Fortunately, the practice and study is great fun. I do need to get the appropriate charts printed out to make things easier.