Sign in to follow this  
Ken.Pascoe

Saving Window States

Howdy All

I like to set the window popups (PFD, ND, Upper/Lower EICAS, CDU L/R, etc) in certain positions so that I can use the practically and have them popup in convenient locations. However each time I re-start the sim (including loading from saved flights) - I have to redefine the positions. Saving the Panel State through the CDU PMDG menu isn't doing it. Is there a way I can get FSX/PMDG to "remember" the window states?

Ken

WindowSetup-large.jpg

Thats a very good question. Its kinda like why cant the backlight of the displays cant be saved to black. You are the first one that i know of that does this. I dont think there is a way to save it.

Not sure if it works for the PMDG 777, but many other aircraft allow for this by Saving the Flight and when you boot in (go into the Cessna 172 first) and then reload the saved flight. It will take you to the location from which you saved the flight, but afterwards you can change to any airport you wish.

Hope this helps.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Nope, saving the flight does not save the window configurations, nor where they pop up to, as far as I've been able to do.

i dont think there is no way of saving it like that. ive tried all the possibilities this morning and nothing will pop up. You have to do it manually every time. There is one possibility which includes your aircraft.CFG, but that goes to a lot of time and configuring  with changing the location where they pop up. which possibly screw the whole plane up. I wont try to change anything and just do it manually. 

Nope, saving the flight does not save the window configurations, nor where they pop up to, as far as I've been able to do.

I just did what I recommended to you, so it does work.  You'll need to undock the panels first.

Hope this helps.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Also, there was a freeware program to save multiple panel states in the AVISIM Library... I'll try to search for it and report back if I'm able to locate it.

With the above in mind, just undock the panels and save the flight, and the next time you load FS load into the default Cessa and select Load flight from the FSX Menu bar, and your 2D panels will load just where you left them.

Dave Hodges

Dave i have posted another thread similar to this and you sound like you have experience of undocked windows.

I'm running windowed and it saves the positions on my extra monitors but every time the 77 fires into life the undocked pfd nd etc do not fill the entire undocked window. They just display on the top left portion of the undocked window.

Any ideas if there is a fix for this.

Regards

Darren 

Ah. I know it works when one is using Eye Infinity or NVIDIA Surround (just tested the PFD, ND and CDU - all resized before saving, and they loaded fine with one exception... they loaded to their original size though the window was the same, larger size as when saved but the actual PFD was the original size inside the saved window until the window was moved ever so slightly then it was back to the saved size.  FYI:  I run 3, 23" monitors.

I'm guessing you're trying to place the 2D panels on monitors just to display instruments.  Tough road on that... I'd direct you to the Cockpit Builders forum for that. There are also some freeware 777 gauges in the library, but I've not had time to even look at those.

Best of luck!

Dave Hodges

Thanks All

I'm clearly doing something wrong. When I refer to popup windows, I mean pointing the mouse at the PFD until it changes symbol, then right clicking and having the window popup. I'm not referring to multiple monitor setups or additional views created through FSX File... menu structure.

In any event I'm clearly missing something and will go back to the drawing board and try again.

I'm sure we're on the same page.  I'm on my way out, but I'll be on the OVPA voice server tomorrow morning if you'd like to drop by and discuss.  You can get the info on the OVPA website (see my signature below).

Hope we can get this worked out for you.

Dave Hodges

Hi Ken,

Apologies i think i may have hijacked your post.

From my understanding if you want the positions saved you have to undock them and then move them to where you would like them and then save the flight.

Run FSX up again and load your saved flight and the panels should pop up where you saved them.

The only thing i'm not sure about is if FSX needs to be windowed or if it can be done in full screen mode. Because i have multiple screens i normally run windowed.

Regards

Darren

I stand corrected. I don't know what I was doing last time, but having saved the flight with the windows where I want them, re-loading the flight does not display the windows, but right clicking on them (PFD, ND, CDU et) brings them up in the right places, which is fine.

Now if I could just settle on one configuration ...

Are you guys mixing up windowed versus full screen FSX mode?

Because there is bo undocking when you fly in full screen mode.

undocking is a windowed mode thing only!

I use full screen mode on 3 displays and have to move the 2D popups to where I want every single time :-(

As far as I know it is not possible to save the flight and then at reboot of FSX have the 2D popups open automatically where you left them last time (in my case on another monitor).

They allways open up initially on the main FSX window :-(

Now I did recently read somewhere, that panels can be editited with notepad to open up at certain positions.

But I have not experimented with that though.

Rob Robson

Now I did recently read somewhere, that panels can be editited with notepad to open up at certain positions.

In the panel.cfg file there should be a "position=[1-8]" entry for each window. The numbers move it to different positions around the screen (don't know about multiple monitors). (There is also another variable that can position a given window more precisely). There is also a "visible=[0 or 1] entry for each window; 1 means make visible at startup. This may or may not work with popups (away from FSX computer for a few days). This is documented in the SDK. If either line is missing in a given window, just add it. Be sure to back up your panel.cfg file first!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2