Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

steam version

Hi guys

I'm thinking about  buying the steam version of xp10  as its going reasonably cheap, but my only concerns are using addons etc not bought from steam.

with fsx now on there also the debate seems to be all about addon compatability,as xp has been on there longer.I guess its had more time for users to play around with it adding scenery etc to it

So can I buy in the knowledge that I'm going to add and play around freely or is the steam version going to have a big brother feel to it, ie you can only put on what we allow.

Thanks

Pete Little

My understanding is yes, you can just install addon scenery and planes like you would on the standalone version (I have steam users using my own scenery). Maybe someone who has the steam version can confirm 100%, but it's unlikely they wouldn't allow this,

I think the only downside on the steam version is not having access to the early beta cycles.........

No, I cannot imagine that there's any downside. Like addons you give the path and it's 100% the same x-plane. I don't have xp but for ex. WarThunder etc. I've here:

/media/michael/DATA/steam/SteamApps/common/War Thunder

You can even completely skip steam by making a direct desktoplink. Simply download and point the xplaneupdater to the xp folder and you're good.