Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Sales purchase time

Hi all

With the post Christmas sales coming ,or even started I have decided to get some more hard drive space purely for my various sims

I have not fully commited to an ssd  So I'm looking for some advice on possible hard drives to get as well,probably in the 1TB range. Can anybody recommend some fast HD drives presumeably I need at least 7200rpm or faster

Thanks for any advise you can give

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Pete ... I would suggest researching Seagate's  SSHD range unless you intend to use the drive purely for data storage.

I second Appliance's suggestion. Solid state storage is lightyears faster than a traditional hard disk. My machine cold boots Windows 7 from pressing the power button to at the desktop in about 6 seconds. It boots FSX in about 4 seconds.

They're expensive, but they're totally worth it. Not to mention no longer having to wait forever for stuff to install. With a transfer rate of 30 gigs every minute, most of your addons will install in, literally, the blink of an eye.

I'm using Seagate's SSHD drive from some time and this is the best and only option if you are not fully convinced to SSD drives. In my case only my wallet stops me before buy SSD. The good news is that prices go down every month and I hope soon I will move my FSX/P3D to such disc. Rest of my games will stay on SSHD :]

Thanks for the info guys, The SSHD route may be the way for me to go at the moment.I would like to have all my flightsim stuff all in the one place and not have them spread over 3 different drives for everything

From what I've read they seem to combine a small cache like ssd with a normal HD is this correct  which helps the speed in general, so its somewere between a conventional HD and a SSD