Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

747-400 - iFly vs PMDG in FS9

Hi fellow simmers,

I am searching for a 744 for my FS9, but I guess my Notebook is not powerful enough for the iFly, so I consider the purchase of the PMDG. Does anybody use it with a Win7 64Bit OS? In the product Description at Aerosoft it is mentioned as for Windows XP only.

Thanks and best regards

Timo

The first hotfix was released earlier today, an 82 mb patch.  The fix list looks mostly like minor stuff, and couldn't see anything related to the FDE, but a quick test with my system does seem to indicate that framerates are better after the patch.  

John G.

Anyone else with feedback on comparing both, especially in terms of flight dynamics and behaviour?

I am not looking for who s the best (i don t care) but how they differ if ever...

Thanks

Ghiom

Anyhone know where to get PMDG 747?

Jim

CYWG

Anyhone know where to get PMDG 747?

Unless you can find a hard copy at a computer store or somewhere, you can't find it. Explanation here.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/459001-what-happened-to-the-fs2004-products/

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Thanks Kevin. I see aerosoft has some. Who knows how many though.

Jim

CYWG

My thoughts on iFly vs PMDG....

External Model - Brilliantly done. Amazing new lighting systems previously on available in FSX are now possible in FS9 with iFly. My only quell is not enough repaints! Better than PMDG's in my opinion, given it's now 9 years old.

Internal Model - Again, well done. It had and does have some flaws though, a couple of which have been fixed in the hotfix. The biggest issue is the mouse cursor on screen FPS bug. With the mouse cursor in the FS window, FPS drops by over 50%. They state that everyone addon should do this, but so far iFly's 747 has been the only one to do this to me. Otherwise though, it's a gigantic visual leap over their 737 and PMDG's outdated model.

Performance - As stated, in the VC it has issue, but everywhere else I have noticed minimal impact. However, PMDG has much better performance, so it wins here.

FDE - This is the biggest quell of mine. The takeoff's seem very rocket like, high rates of climb even at high altitude, and the descent planning and execution is just horrible. The T/D point is calculated less than 60 NM from any destination (tested multiple times), so it causes an extremely high rate of descent (+4000 - 5000 fpm). Also, the holding logic is just awful. PMDG easily wins with their FDE.

FS2004 Forever

Your comment on the fde is very intersting. I ve noticed the same and reported (like others) the concern that the plane sinks like a stone upon descent.

Reply has been that dynamics were checked by real pilots so end of the discussion. Could it be that the PMDG is not realistic from that standpoint?

I am lost.

Anyway u til further development, my ifly 744 is stored in Mojave desert.

The biggest issue is the mouse cursor on screen FPS bug. With the mouse cursor in the FS window, FPS drops by over 50%. They state that everyone addon should do this, but so far iFly's 747 has been the only one to do this to me.

I see they are still in denial on this problem, which is the reason I don't use their 737 in FSX (I know this is a FS2004 thread, but the problem is cross platform) and won't be purchasing this model, until this is addressed, once and for all. As you experienced, I don't have this issue to this extent on any other add on I have  My system is not that strong (3Ghz C2D) so this kind of performance loss turns the sim into a slideshow.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

The mouse thing... Is it applicable to FS9 or FSX?

Never heard of this problem in FS9...

Chris's post refers to FS9, so I would say both.

I've heard of it happening to FSX users and now it happens to me in FS9, so yes, that's correct.

FS2004 Forever

odd, there is no vc cursor fps penalty in fs9.  the vc cursor is handled within the 3d rendering engine.  fsx is different, vc cursor position is calculated at a higher layer which consumes too much clock cycles. 

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS