Sign in to follow this  

Hello all,

I finally took the plunge. I bought XP just minutes before the sale on Steam ended. I've been an MSFS user since 2002, roughly and decided it was time to try something new. Not giving up MSFS as I've got way too much invested in it to just drop it, but I wanted to give XP a try as well. What attracted me more than anything were the fact that it's 64 bit and the realism I've heard so much about.

So, get ready. I'm sure this XP noob will have plenty of questions.

Ken

So, get ready. I'm sure this XP noob will have plenty of questions.

I interpret that as "Be warned! The Hounds of Hell have been released!"

:clapping:

Haha! You may be right! I promise to RTFM before asking a bunch of questions, but I'm sure I'll think of something.

I'm looking forward to and, just a bit apprehensive, about starting fresh with something totally new to me. I've considered buying XP before but finally couldn't resist a half price sale.

KP

Let the fun begin, I took the plunge a month or so ago.  Sorry if I'm not supposed to talk about other sites here, but it'd be worth signing up to X-Plane.org if you haven't already, if only to get access to a vast amount of useful free stuff (I don't know how much is here in the Avsim library).

Have fun!

We X-plane aviators await your questions with bated breath. Always ready to help if we can.

One thing first... X-Plane is not FSX. It works differently, looks different and feels different.

If you can't seem to get even the simplest things to work, you are in good company - we all battled at the beginning - just persevere and ask.

Greetings

Dave Britzius

(Cockpit Designer and Flight Simulator Hardware Supplier)

Cape Town

http://davebritzius.com

Thanks Dave, much appreciated. I'm still downloading at the moment, but hope to give it a shot asap.

For those with the Steam version, is it possible for me to copy if from the machine I'm currently installing it on to another machine I have with Steam so as to avoid downloading twice?

Welcome Ken, we look forward to seeing you here more.

And (as with FSX) don't expect it to look like the pretty screenshots everywhere until you've spent some time installing addons. Base XP ain't so pretty...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I still have both installed, but find myself seldom using FSX.  Spend some time with both, read stuff, watch videos, download (mostly free) add-ons, and ask questions.  In the end, you will find that you have made a great purchase.

John

John Wingold

Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome and the advice. I'm looking forward to trying out XP, but it takes a long time to download 16 gig LOL

Ken

Ha, 16 GB !

You ain't seen nuttin' yet...  B)

On of the first addons you will want to install is an enhanced mesh for USA, Europe, Japan and Oz.

It's only 99GB!

It's donationware, or freeware of you are a bit financially tight this January :o

Once you have seen and used it, you will actually want to donate.

Go here:

http://www.alpilotx.net/

And that's just the start of the fun....

Greetings

Dave Britzius

(Cockpit Designer and Flight Simulator Hardware Supplier)

Cape Town

http://davebritzius.com

Wow! 99gb! Sounds like a good choice, though, so I may have to work on that.

Have to figure out setting up my CH yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant as well as figuring out how to use the software itself. Also, I thought there was an included scenery maker of some sort, but I haven't found it yet. I'd like to make scenery for my hometown airport.

Ken

Wow! 99gb! Sounds like a good choice, though, so I may have to work on that.

Have to figure out setting up my CH yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant as well as figuring out how to use the software itself. Also, I thought there was an included scenery maker of some sort, but I haven't found it yet. I'd like to make scenery for my hometown airport.

Ken

Hi Ken,

make sure you download only the HD-Mesh tile of your personal flight area first and see how you like it. That tile will be something like 2-3 Gigs, so not quite as much.

What is your hometown airport? The tool you need to make scenery is called "WED" (for world editor), check out this site:

http://developer.x-plane.com/tools/worldeditor/

Just go ahead and get comfortable with X-Plane first, though.

Welcome to the cadre of X-Plane pilots ;-)

Jan

Thanks Jan! My hometown airport is KRSV - Crawford County Airport near Robinson, Illinois. I'm really looking forward to learning XP and need to devote some time to reading up and watching video on it to help me get started.

Ken