Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

FSX VSync

I've spent the last few months playing around with VSync on my FSX.  I noticed I get much better performance with Vsync disabled.  Everything is so much smoother.  The tearing is not bad at all.  I notice it the most when panning.  When just looking straight ahead or sideways, the tearing is very minimal.

Did Aces disable Vsync in Acceleration for performance gain?

I'm thinking about just leaving Vsync off. 

Anybody else fly this way?

I'm in DX10, but I noticed the same thing in DX9.

I use DX10 and I've also found that I get better FPS with Vsync turned off. However, I use a head tracker and the tearing when panning quickly with Vsync off is a show stopper for me. In NVIDIA inspector, I have Vertical sync set to 1/2 refresh rate and then in FSX I limit the FPS to 30 (on my 60 Hz monitor) and that seems to be the best compromise.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Maybe refresh rate has something to do with it.  My plasma is rated 500Hz.

I've tried 1/2 refresh rate but my best compromise if I want Vsync would be Force On with Inspector.  This is because I set my fps within fsx to unlimited. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Maybe refresh rate has something to do with it.  My plasma is rated 500Hz.

I've tried 1/2 refresh rate but my best compromise if I want Vsync would be Force On with Inspector.  This is because I set my fps within fsx to unlimited. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The 1/2 refresh rate setting theoretically wouldn't work for you as you'd need to limit the framerate in FSX to 250! Although there are numerous arguments for and against setting framerates to unlimited in FSX, I would try forcing Vsync on in NVDIA Inspector and then limiting the framerates in FSX to 30 and see how that goes. Setting unlimited for me does give better frame rates but at the expense of smoothness.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I have V-Sync forced off, unlimited frames, and DX10 fixer. I never see any tearing and I am in locked spot view a good deal of the time.

Maybe refresh rate has something to do with it.  My plasma is rated 500Hz

I own a plasma TV and the 600 Hz is just marketing. Most plasma TVs (non-3D) actually run at 60 Hz, like a regular computer monitor. Except it will flash the screen 10 times per frame that is drawn to eliminate motion blur and provide a clear picture. That is essentially what the "600 Hz" was designed for.

You'll still get screen tearing though. Unless you enable VSync, or buy one of those monitors which has a built in chip to eliminate screen tearing completely without any software tweaks.

The 1/2 refresh rate setting theoretically wouldn't work for you as you'd need to limit the framerate in FSX to 250! Although there are numerous arguments for and against setting framerates to unlimited in FSX, I would try forcing Vsync on in NVDIA Inspector and then limiting the framerates in FSX to 30 and see how that goes. Setting unlimited for me does give better frame rates but at the expense of smoothness.

Thanks for the tips.  Unfortunately, they don't work as well.  As soon as I lock my frames within FSX, I get more stutters.  I've tried different combinations but unlimited gives me much smoother flights.  I was able to get 1/2 refresh rate to work by limiting fps in Inspector or FSX to 30.  The only time I can remember getting smooth performance with fps locked was when I was using FSX Booster 2013, but I don't use it anymore because I don't see any improvement in DX10.  It definitely helped in DX9. 

I've done several more flights without Vsync and I'm going to keep it like this.  The tearing is not bad and the smoothness is great.

I own a plasma TV and the 600 Hz is just marketing. Most plasma TVs (non-3D) actually run at 60 Hz, like a regular computer monitor. Except it will flash the screen 10 times per frame that is drawn to eliminate motion blur and provide a clear picture. That is essentially what the "600 Hz" was designed for.

You'll still get screen tearing though. Unless you enable VSync, or buy one of those monitors which has a built in chip to eliminate screen tearing completely without any software tweaks.

Thanks for the clarification.  It makes sense.  I noticed my plasma keeps moving images crystal clear while the LCD and LED I had in the past struggled in this area.

Interesting.  I had no idea they had monitors with built in Vsync.  I hope they include this feature in future displays because I prefer to play on big screens over pc monitors.  I hope to upgrade to an 80" 4K display in a few years. 

Interesting.  I had no idea they had monitors with built in Vsync.  I hope they include this feature in future displays because I prefer to play on big screens over pc monitors.  I hope to upgrade to an 80" 4K display in a few years. 

It's a new feature that popped up in the last couple years. I don't think they'll implement it in large TVs though. Restricted to monitors by the sounds of it.