Sign in to follow this  
CathayA340

FSX Quit to Desktop

Hello,

I just did a clean install of FSX along with all of my addons, including FSDreamTeam KJFK and Quality Wings 757. I have seen many crashes about these two addons relating to the Addon Manager. When I load up the sim as an admin, I get no warning message - it simply quits to desktop. I tried many things, including uninstalling FSDreamTeam completely, deleting the Scenery/Facility folders in program data and removing the Shaders/Shaders10 folders. 

One thing to note is that when I install FSDT, I get an error message each time about my dll.xml "Error on line 1, position 46:".

Does anyone have any tips? I haven't been able to fly yet after installing the FSDreamTeam scenery. Thanks!

Confirmed that it's addon manager. I uninstalled all FSDT and fixed up some files, and my sim is working - but then, I installed the standalone addon manager from the fsdt website - and now, it won't work.

One thing to note is that when I install FSDT, I get an error message each time about my dll.xml "Error on line 1, position 46:".

Download and install a neat program called Notepad++.  It will tell you exactly where position 46 is located.  I use it all the time if editing the dll.xml.  I think errors for placing items in the dll.xml can occur if you do not have sufficient permissions.  Running/installing as Admin is just one permission.  Turning off UAC is another permission.  Turning off any anti-virus program when installing any program is another as the anti-virus program picks up a lot of false-positives and puts really good and files into quarantine or a required registry item is not made or a permission required at the firewall.

When you reinstalled your fsdt airports, did you use the latest installation program on their website or did you use a backup installer?  Some of the products have been updated, especially for better compatibility with DX10 Preview.

Best regards,

I uninstalled all FSDT and fixed up some files, and my sim is working - but then, I installed the standalone addon manager from the fsdt website - and now, it won't work.

This statement is quite confusing.  You uninstalled FSDT and now fsx is working.  Then you installed the standalone addon manager?   I understand your frustrations with the Couatl security but it is a necessary evil.  A lot of people have posted their frustrations with this product over the years and I have encountered a frustration or two along the way but it really is easy if you take your time and get it set up properly.  I think I read their installation manual a hundred times.  Your best solution is to go to the FSDT or Quality Wings website and look for a solution.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi, 

Thank you very much for your response! I downloaded notepad++ and line 1 position 46 is the end of the first line which is this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>  I installed as the admin, I disabled UAC and no antivirus program was running. When I reinstalled, I downloaded new installers straight from the website.

As for the second part, that is correct.

No Addon Manager / FSDT Products = Quality Wings 757 does NOT work, FSX does start up

Addon Manager Standalone = FSX Quits to Desktop on Startscreen

Addon Manager Standalone with a FSDT JFK install = FSX Quits to Desktop on Startscreen

FSDT JFK Install with no standalone addon manager install = FSX Quits to Desktop on Startscreen

I will check the manual to see if it helps, I appreciate your help as well!

FSDT JFK Install with no standalone addon manager install = FSX Quits to Desktop on Startscreen

The Addon Manager that comes with the FSDT JFK product is not up-to-date but it should still allow you to startup FSX. When I had problems starting up FSX, I remembered I had just installed a FSDT product. I went on their site and downloaded the latest Addon Manager. FSX started up right away. I would recommend uninstalled FSDT JFK and also the Quality Wings product. Run a registry cleaner. Run FSX and make sure it is working properly. Go into the folder that has the fsx.cfg and dll.xml. Look for a file called "dll.xml before addon manager". Rename that to dll.xml. Open it with Notepad++ and make sure no Addon Manager (the following entry should not be there):

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Addon Manager</Name>

<Disabled>False</Disabled>

<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>

<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

If you see an exe.xml before addon manager, then rename that and delete the other one. Make sure the file does not contain the following:

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Couatl</Name>

<Path>fsdreamteam\couatl\couatl.exe</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

Now reinstall FSDT KJFK. Do not try to download the latest Standalone Addon Manager. When you install a FSDT product it will download and install the latest on their website. Downloading the latest version should only be done if you are having problems starting up FSX.

Now restart FSX. It should start up. Go to the Addon Manager menu and check to be sure FSDT KJFK has been activated. If not you may have to reenter your key.

Whenever you uninstall FSX (clean uninstall), you need to deactivate any FSDT product or products that use the Couatl products first.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The Addon Manager that comes with the FSDT JFK product is not up-to-date but it should still allow you to startup FSX. When I had problems starting up FSX, I remembered I had just installed a FSDT product. I went on their site and downloaded the latest Addon Manager. FSX started up right away. I would recommend uninstalled FSDT JFK and also the Quality Wings product. Run a registry cleaner. Run FSX and make sure it is working properly. Go into the folder that has the fsx.cfg and dll.xml. Look for a file called "dll.xml before addon manager". Rename that to dll.xml. Open it with Notepad++ and make sure no Addon Manager (the following entry should not be there):

<Launch.Addon>

<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

If you see an exe.xml before addon manager, then rename that and delete the other one. Make sure the file does not contain the following:

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Couatl</Name>

</Launch.Addon>

Now reinstall FSDT KJFK. Do not try to download the latest Standalone Addon Manager. When you install a FSDT product it will download and install the latest on their website. Downloading the latest version should only be done if you are having problems starting up FSX.

Now restart FSX. It should start up. Go to the Addon Manager menu and check to be sure FSDT KJFK has been activated. If not you may have to reenter your key.

Whenever you uninstall FSX (clean uninstall), you need to deactivate any FSDT product or products that use the Couatl products first.

Best regards,

Wow, thank you SO much for this lengthy response! I'm getting on my way to try it - if it works, I'll update you :) I really appreciate you taking your time to help me.

Hmm, after I uninstalled the QW 757 and FSDT, I loaded up the Level-D 767 and took it out - before the loading, fsx crashed and I got this error : 

----------------------------------------

System.Web.Services

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

ecwu_mxn

Assembly Version: 1.1.5514.37598

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5485 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

msvcm80

Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.6195

Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.6195

tjaqk-3-

Assembly Version: 1.1.5514.37598

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5485 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

Newtonsoft.Json

Assembly Version: 6.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 6.0.8.18111

System.Runtime.Serialization

Assembly Version: 3.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.0.4506.5463 (Win7SP1GDR.030729-5400)

System.Xml.Linq

Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0

Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.5420 built by: Win7SP1

System.Data

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5483 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

*EDIT* That was a one time thing, sorry - it works now.

<Launch.Addon>

<Path>bglmanx.dll</Path>

</Launch.Addon>

<Launch.Addon>

<Name>Couatl</Name>

</Launch.Addon>

Best regards,

Unfortunately, no luck. I uninstalled it all, ran a registry cleaner, then checked the exe.xml and dll.xml, and installed FSDT JFK as admin without UAC and anti-virus programs. Still didnt start up, any other suggestions? :/ The registry cleaner I used is called Wise Registry Cleaner.

Unfortunately, no luck. I uninstalled it all, ran a registry cleaner, then checked the exe.xml and dll.xml, and installed FSDT JFK as admin without UAC and anti-virus programs. Still didnt start up, any other suggestions? :/ The registry cleaner I used is called Wise Registry Cleaner.

So, after you uninstalled FSDT JFK and the QW 757, FSX started up okay (after a crash that fixed itself) and you were able to fly the LevelD 767? Then you reinstalled FSDT JFK (not the QW757) and you were not able to start up FSX?

How about downloading Process Monitor and setting it up so as to monitor ONLY your FSX and FSX addons? You would have to uninstall the FSDT software first and get FSX to start up. Page 4 of the AVSIM CTD Guide provides a link to the Process Monitor. You then can set it up but you have to be at least at the FSX Setup screen. Once the Process Monitor is configured, then close FSX and Process Monitor. Now start up Process Monitor and set it to monitor FSX. Start up FSX and you will see what's loading up to the setup screen. When you reinstall FSDT, do the same. Start up the Process Monitor, set it to monitor FSX, and then start up FSX. Now you will see what's loading all the way up to the crash. Cool stuff....

When you reinstall FSDT JFK, make sure you download the product from the FSDT website. They have the latest version with all bugs fixed. If you are using a backed up version, it could have bugs.

Make sure your FSX is set up to run as the administrator every time you start FSX. You do this by going to the main FSX folder, right clicking on FSX.exe and then selecting Properties. Click on the Compatibility Tab and look all the way down and make sure the Privilege Level states Run this program as an administrator. Make sure the compatibility mode or Settings do not have anything enabled. NOTE: I'm making this recommendation even though you are able to start up FSX w/o FSDT software installed because this may be causing FSX not to start up if FSDT software is installed.

You will want to configure your antivirus software to make sure the following files are excluded from from scanning:

bglmanx.dll (located in your main fsx directory)

couatl.exe (should be in the main fsx directory/FSDT/Couatl/Couatl.exe)

Sometimes these antivirus programs will scan a program starting up like FSX and see something they don't like and stop the process immediately to save you from evil people. Personally I would totally disable it from any real time protection while running FSX (I'm totally guessing you have an anti-virus program; many, like me, don't).

When you first startup FSX after installing FSDT products, you will be asked if you would like to designate the couatl.exe and bglman.dll as trusted software. You should click on Yes each time asked.

The latest bglmanx.dll is located in the main fsx directory and should show the version as 2.9.0.28 (right click the file and select properties and then click on the Detail tab). The couatl.exe is in the FSDT/Couatl directory and that version should show 2.0.0.2376.

There is a possibility that you have a corrupted dll.xml, not because of the addon manager but from some other product that cannot load properly.

I have run out of ideas so hope something above fixes the problem and you can go fly.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

So, after you uninstalled FSDT JFK and the QW 757, FSX started up okay (after a crash that fixed itself) and you were able to fly the LevelD 767? Then you reinstalled FSDT JFK (not the QW757) and you were not able to start up FSX?

How about downloading Process Monitor and setting it up so as to monitor ONLY your FSX and FSX addons? You would have to uninstall the FSDT software first and get FSX to start up. Page 4 of the AVSIM CTD Guide provides a link to the Process Monitor. You then can set it up but you have to be at least at the FSX Setup screen. Once the Process Monitor is configured, then close FSX and Process Monitor. Now start up Process Monitor and set it to monitor FSX. Start up FSX and you will see what's loading up to the setup screen. When you reinstall FSDT, do the same. Start up the Process Monitor, set it to monitor FSX, and then start up FSX. Now you will see what's loading all the way up to the crash. Cool stuff....

When you reinstall FSDT JFK, make sure you download the product from the FSDT website. They have the latest version with all bugs fixed. If you are using a backed up version, it could have bugs.

Make sure your FSX is set up to run as the administrator every time you start FSX. You do this by going to the main FSX folder, right clicking on FSX.exe and then selecting Properties. Click on the Compatibility Tab and look all the way down and make sure the Privilege Level states Run this program as an administrator. Make sure the compatibility mode or Settings do not have anything enabled. NOTE: I'm making this recommendation even though you are able to start up FSX w/o FSDT software installed because this may be causing FSX not to start up if FSDT software is installed.

You will want to configure your antivirus software to make sure the following files are excluded from from scanning:

bglmanx.dll (located in your main fsx directory)

couatl.exe (should be in the main fsx directory/FSDT/Couatl/Couatl.exe)

Sometimes these antivirus programs will scan a program starting up like FSX and see something they don't like and stop the process immediately to save you from evil people. Personally I would totally disable it from any real time protection while running FSX (I'm totally guessing you have an anti-virus program; many, like me, don't).

When you first startup FSX after installing FSDT products, you will be asked if you would like to designate the couatl.exe and bglman.dll as trusted software. You should click on Yes each time asked.

The latest bglmanx.dll is located in the main fsx directory and should show the version as 2.9.0.28 (right click the file and select properties and then click on the Detail tab). The couatl.exe is in the FSDT/Couatl directory and that version should show 2.0.0.2376.

There is a possibility that you have a corrupted dll.xml, not because of the addon manager but from some other product that cannot load properly.

I have run out of ideas so hope something above fixes the problem and you can go fly.

Best regards,

Thanks for the suggestions - how do you set process monitor to only do the FSX programs?

Thanks for the suggestions - how do you set process monitor to only do the FSX programs?

As I stated, see Page 4 of the AVSIM CTD Guide for how to set it up and the link to Process Monitor.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Got it, thank you - I set it up and saw many processes, but both times I didn't see anything with FSX/fsdreamteam...

Got it, thank you - I set it up and saw many processes, but both times I didn't see anything with FSX/fsdreamteam...

You shouldn't see anything with FSDT if you uninstalled FSDT JFK so you could get to at least the setup screen. I thought you said you FSX would not start up with FSDT installed.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

You shouldn't see anything with FSDT if you uninstalled FSDT JFK so you could get to at least the setup screen. I thought you said you FSX would not start up with FSDT installed.

Best regards,

Yes, I was unable to get to the free flight screen. After installing FSDT, and attempting to load the sim after accepting and running the two files, i saw nothing with FSDT in process monitor.

Looking through the process monitor after installing FSDT JFK, the last file from fsx/fsdreamteam to show up is the jfk_fing_c.bgl file. The last file to load is of the Trike, one of its sound files - its a close file operation. The trike is my default plane. Then it disconnects, the operation is TCP Disconnect.

hen it disconnects, the operation is TCP Disconnect.

Which means you could have a simconnect issue.  Post #6 might indicate that too.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Well, things just got worse :( I installed Acceleration again after removing the folders foe simconnect in windows/winsxs. I then installed SDK/Sim Connect up to SP1A, and unfortunately, when i loaded up the sim, i got 3 errors - the first said that couatl.exe did not work and that i had to close it. Then, a message about the Level d 767 popped up saying that it detected a problem with LVLD.dll. And finally, an error on simconnect.dll...then the sim shuts down without warning.