Sign in to follow this  
CathayA340

FSX Quit to Desktop

So I reinstalled again - after a fresh reinstall of FSX + Acceleration, I find only one simconnect folder/dll in the winsxs area - version 10.0.61259. On my other computer where I have FSX running and working, there are 3 or 4 folders of such, with the 60905 and 61242 versions of SimConnect. I tried installing it also from the sdk folders from the disk 1 simconnect.msi, no luck in getting new simconnect folders. How exactly do I achieve this?

I find only one simconnect folder/dll in the winsxs area - version 10.0.61259.

This might have been a leftover from a previous install of FSX.  As I stated above, I just reinstalled Windows 7, FSX Deluxe and Acceleration.  When I completed this installation, there was no simconnect installed on my computer system.  Simconnect is not needed until you install a program, like ASN, that needs it.  When ASN is installed, they install a version they use to make sure their program works properly.  The same occurs with other FSX addons if a simconnect program is required.  In other words, there is nothing you have to do but sit back and let the other developers of your addons install the appropriate simconnect.

So, FSX/Acceleration does not need a version of simconnect to run.  The SDK is there for developers to use in the event their addon requires a simconnect.dll installation.  They will install the proper one.  Originally I thought it was included in the installation of FSX/Acceleration but it is not.  Not needed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok, got it - the simconnect folder is from the new install as the date and time corresponds with when I reinstalled the sim. I installed ezdok and it looks that if that didn't install anything with simconnect, and when FSX loads up, ezdok doesn't connect. I use REX Overdrive for my weather and some ORBX addons too. Would a reinstall of any of those add a simconnect?

Yes, EZDOK should install a version of simconnect. I do not know about REX Overdrive. I have EZDOK software but refuse to install it as it has a huge learning curve. I like addons that work right out of the box without a bunch of manipulating views, etc.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yes, EZDOK should install a version of simconnect. I do not know about REX Overdrive. I have EZDOK software but refuse to install it as it has a huge learning curve. I like addons that work right out of the box without a bunch of manipulating views, etc.

Best regards,

Thank you - for some reason, looks like EZDOK isn't  installing a version of simconnect on my system as there are no new folders in the winsxs. 

It is not installed in the winsxs folder.  Do a search in the directory where your fsx and ezdok is installed.  If ezdok did not install a version of simconnect on your system, then I guess it is not required for ezdok to work.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Oh ok. My Ezdok is installed in program files x86/EZCA, but FSX is installed in another folder.

I searched both folders and there are no simconnect.dll's there...hmm. The only place I can find any simconnect folders or dlls is in the Windows/winsxs.

I would think that Ezdok needs simconnect, because when I load up the sim after installing, ezdok does not connect to it but it still loads up.

---

After checking my other computer with FSX installed, I found three simconnect folders/dlls in the winsxs folder. One corresponds with the original install of FSX (date/time matches, and is 60905). The other two correspond with my Acceleration install (date/time matches and is the updated one - 61242 and 61259).

After checking my other computer with FSX installed, I found three simconnect folders/dlls in the winsxs folder.

That's strange. I have Windows 7 installed on my C Drive and, like I said earlier, it's a new installation. FSX/Acceleration and P3DV2 are installed so far on my K Drive (a 500GB SSD). A search for simconnect on C Drive reveals no instances of simconnect. A search on K drive reveals 85 separate instances of simconnect (logs, dll, html documents, etc.). I cannot advise you anymore, just stating what happened on a new Windows install on my computer.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Roger, thanks - I still have one simconnect folder in the drive where I did not install the sim. Do you think a complete computer wipe out is necessary? I still can't get it to work - the sim functions fine, the planes work but Ezdok doesn't connect.

the planes work but Ezdok doesn't connect.

You have only one issue, Ezdok doesn't connect, so I would uninstall Ezdok, run a registry cleaner and make sure all remnants of it have been removed, then reinstall it by right clicking the install program and selecting Run as Administrator. Again, EZdok will install the appropriate simconnect needed to run its program. Do not try to install one yourself. Also, make sure there's no simconnect entry belonging to EZdok in the dll.xml. Look in the folder containing the dll.xml and you should see dll.xml before EZdok and that one should bring your dll.xml back to what it was before you tried to install EZdok. If one was not installed, the EZdok did not install a simconnect.dll for their program and one is not needed for it to perform properly.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Thank you very much for the suggestions - I tried it a couple of times but still no luck :(

Ezdok doesnt show up in the addons menu within FSX but still starts..oh well. Do you know of anything else that could help?

Ezdok doesnt show up in the addons menu within FSX but still starts..oh well. Do you know of anything else that could help?

Did you run the EZDok config program? It scans your system for installed aircraft. You have to do this after you've installed EZDok the first time and then after every new plane install. Look in the Start Menu for the program.

Reading the manual and stuff on the Internet and it says the entry is made in the exe.xml and not the dll.xml. So you should have no entry in the dll.xml. Just the exe.xml (same folder). Check that file out and make sure it was added to that file. (I highly recommend you download a program called Notepad++ as it will provide the beginning and ending of an entry in the exe.xml and dll.xml - http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.4.html . So, when you right click on exe.xml or dll.xml, you will see an entry like "Edit with Notepad++". Click on that and it will open the xml file). If the entry is not in your exe.xml, then something went horribly wrong with your installation.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Yep, that's right - I did run the config program after installing, and ran it as an administrator. And there is no entry in dll.xml for ezdok, just exe.xml as you said with the correct path - I have notepad ++ and tried, and it all looked fine.

Other than checking out the following link I have no further suggestions - http://www.simforums.com/forums/help-ezca-not-showing-in-addon-fsx-menu_topic49729.html. This program causes people a lot of frustrations and the reason it is not going to be reinstalled.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks for the help - I checked the link and my dll.xml/exe.xml both seem to be proper.

Looking here at my other computer with fsx running fine w/ simconnect, there are of course the 3 simconnect folders. 60905, the first version, was installed with FSX RTM, then 61242 and 61259 were installed with acceleration it looks like. I did not install any SDK here so I am quite sure it must be installed with the sim? 

Maybe I'm using the registry cleaner improperly? Which one do you recommend?