Sign in to follow this  
gliderdriver

FSX-SE d3d9.dll crash - SweetFX?

This is just a little pondering on my part, out aloud, so to speak.  Please read on if the subject interests you...

I am enjoying FSX-SE with GenX! VFR scenery, whilst still retaining my old FSX disc installation which has ORBX sceneries.

Both installations have SweetFX enabled.

Last night after an hour or so flying online at VATSIM, my FSX-SE stopped working, the 'hour glass' icon appeared and we stuck on that.  I had to go to task manager and kill the process to close it all down.  I immediately checked the Windows application error log and found it related to FSX.exe and D3D9.dll.

Isn't the d3d9.dll related to SweetFX, and therefore my crash must be related to that?

I remember that SweetFX doesn't like graphic 'over-lays' like white text that add-ons may inject into the game.  I might have had such an overlay of radio transmission text from the VPilot VATSIM client and I am now going to suppress that text in the VPilot settings and refly the flight to see if the crash reoccurs.

However, I remember that uiautomation.dll was always a problem in FSX.  Did they really cure that one in FSX-SE, or do we still need to do that little job still?

Best wishes,

Phil

However, I remember that uiautomation.dll was always a problem in FSX.  Did they really cure that one in FSX-SE, or do we still need to do that little job still?

Look in the root folder of FSX:SE. Take note that the UIAutomationCore.dll is provided by default Steam installation.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

WOW! The Avsim CTD guide is a really useful resource - many thanks to all who put so much work into it!   Just didn't realise its value.

Phil

If you're trying to become Member of the Year, well.... this is a good start! LOL! We always appreciate the accolades!

Best regards,