Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

Decoding a Metar

I have grasped a good idea of how to read a metar. but i'm confused with this metar from LPMA, it has multiple wind reports, why?

LPMA 182300Z 03015KT 350V050 9999 BKN015 14/07 Q1027 RS02013G23KT 0502015G32KT 2303013KT RMK SHARED BY DUPLICATE STATION: LPFU

Vernon Howells

The winds are mainly 30@15 but there is variable winds from 350 to 50. So a north landing could get some crosswind effect.

So why does it mention more winds and gust factor below that?

RS02013G23KT 0502015G32KT 2303013KT

Vernon Howells

RS stands for Rosario and the 05 and 23 are the runways at Madeira. It's giving you the wind at these additional points.

Wasn't the metar you quoted a real world one that was simply downloaded by ASN? I would be surprised if ASN generated this idiosyncratic metar on its own.

lf you use an iPhone or iPad you may try the app AeroWeather, which provides the weather data of most airports coded and decoded. You can store all your favorite airports and get the data quickly. If you invest a dollar in the Pro version you have much more options including direct access to webcams at or around the airport.

Felix

Maybe, think ASN gets it from some weather source!

I just got that app i'll check it out cheers

If i purchase that app will it be the same source as ASN?

Vernon Howells

AreoWeather is based on US NWS (National Weather Service) and ASN has different options based on real weather. So, there should be no singnificant differences.

Felix

So why does it mention more winds and gust factor below that?

RS02013G23KT 0502015G32KT 2303013KT

Bit of an old topic but can someone explain why LPMA stopped having this in the METAR -

RS and 05

Vernon Howells