Sign in to follow this  
Artur Munteanu

Jettison Fuel

I have some question: is it necessary to use it for the flight, how does it has to be configurated and how many of you are using it? Because I never use it.

It's only required to be used if you need to land and you are above your maximum landing weight.

I have some question: is it necessary to use it for the flight, how does it has to be configurated and how many of you are using it? Because I never use it.

If you're consistently using it in flight, you're either terrible at planning your fuel, or you're constantly breaking the airplane and in need of landing sooner than planned.

Kyle Rodgers

Try taking off at Max landing weight (300ER; 251.3T). Most local training done in our sims use a ZFW of 210.0T and fuel loaded of 40.0T. That'll keep you out of the woods!

Alex Dority

I had to do this once when I diverted due to a (planned because I didn't feel like a 10hr cruise?) cargo fire.  I had to divert to somewhere pretty close to my origin, so I was way over weight.  

Like the boys above said, you're either terrible at planning or (like to) break stuff an awful lot.  Gotta love the failures pages in the FMC.

Fuel dump is only used to dump fuel (go figure), and since the cost of fuel keeps rising, airlines and even regular people who drive cars don't like to waste it.  It's really only used for emergencies or when you just feel like leaving a trail of combustibles in your wake.  Eat my dust.    

As for how it is used.  You need to get below a certain safe landing weight, so you just calculate how many extra thousands of pounds or whatever you need to lose, set the plane to lose that amount and voilà.  You've just dumped thousands of pounds of jet fuel over whatever nature reserve you've been circling over for the past hour.   Couldn't be simpler.  

Obviously some of this info is sarcastic and wrong, but I hope you get the jist.  

You've just dumped thousands of pounds of jet fuel over whatever nature reserve you've been circling over for the past hour.
Cue greenpeace protests... lol   :P

Fuel Jettison (or dumping) is used during non normal operations.

If you have to divert to an alternate airport for whatever reason and are above max landing mass, then you have two options:

1) Overweight landing

The Overweight landing checklist will guide you.

2) dump fuel so you can do a landing at max landing mass (or less).

The FUEL JETTISON checklist shows you step by step what to do and what buttons to press. (make sure you open up the correct checklist from the menu though as some are named similar).

Just press the checklist button, navigate to non normals, fuel, fuel jettison.

(the last part of the checklist "fuel jettison complete - yes/no" is left open untill all the fuel you wanted to dump has been dumped. Then you enter YES and finish the checklist).

Rob Robson

You've just dumped thousands of pounds of jet fuel over whatever nature reserve you've been circling over for the past hour.

"It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven

Upon the place beneath"

Merchant of Venice, Act 4, Scene 1.

Or does it all evaporateth before it reacheth the place beneath?

Dugald Walker

Or does it all evaporateth before it reacheth the place beneath?

It doth, verily even as it leaveth the nozzle.

You guys win tonight...

Kyle Rodgers

You guys win tonight...

+1 on that! I may,.. have entered a minor laughing fit!

That made my day.  Ifith I onlyith newith some Shakespeare. 

Just append -ith to any word and its Shakespeare! LOL