Sign in to follow this  
kenz

PROSIM did it, why not PMDG ?

Kyle, it also works for vatsim :

Again - platform independence is the aim here. What if someone wants to have an offline flight but still be able to contact a VA Ops Desk? It's not as simple as it all looks.

Kyle Rodgers

Heyya,

This hobby is getting better and better every day. So many small things find their way into our vc increasing the immersion. the first time in the pmdg 737 was stunning, using the HUD even better.

For example the aerwinx psx 747 has a working flight deck printer for your acars messages(that could be connect to your home printer if you wish).

so a  big thanks towards all the people working hard for our (and hopefully their) pleasure!

Kind regards
John 

Kyle, it also works for VA using hoppie network.

http://www.sim737ng.pt/prosimutils/documentation/

I'm not saying you're of bad faith, but my idea is that PMDG (like all aircraft developpers) just don't want to develop any datalink system. they're just waiting patiently for online networks to develop a strong and complete datalink solution with sdk/api so they can rely on it and not take any risk.

In my opinion it is sad cause technology is already able to offer some datalink like solutions that would add to immersion.

like this prosim addon: simple, works with every thing that already exist (hoppie, ivap), not simulating a complete cpdlc system but at least it usable in 2015 :-)

Plus a cpdlc solutions for fsx will ever be plateform dependent, if they do it one day, ivao and vatsim won't do it in the same way, and va's also. So cpdlc/acars functions will necessarily be plateform dependent

Kenz

Prosim didn't do it, some one made the whole ACARS interface it to use with prosim, its additional 3rd party called Prosim-UTILS that is made by Humberto Miguel. You have to download it and install it on its own, it does not come with the Prosim 737 software.

But i dont know if it uses hoppie network or not for vatsim

It uses Hoppie's network, there is no VATSIM ACARS network.

Kenz

Prosim didn't do it, some one made the whole ACARS interface it to use with prosim, its additional 3rd party called Prosim-UTILS that is made by Humberto Miguel

I know that already.

http://forum.ivao.aero/index.php?topic=260552.0

What I'm saying is that if a prosim plugin can do it then a/c addon developers can include some features like that in their products.

Plus a cpdlc solutions for fsx will ever be plateform dependent, if they do it one day, ivao and vatsim won't do it in the same way, and va's also. So cpdlc/acars functions will necessarily be plateform dependent

This is actually false. How VATSIM, IVAO, and VAs handle it would be dependent on their platform. If it was developed apart from both entities, then it would be up to them to integrate with it. Look at PFPX. It was developed separate from both entities, but it can clearly integrate with them. It can also integrate with ASN and various VAs. Still, PFPX is not dependent on any one of them.

"Platform dependent" means that it would entirely depend on the underlying platform for functionality. An example would be the Hoppie project. If someone built a product to interact with that network, it is dependent on that network platform and cannot be used on others (though it may be interfaced by others).

I think my angle is being misconstrued here, by the way. I'm not arguing against it. I'm just giving points as to why the current situation out there hasn't been convincing enough to go putting developer resources on it yet.

Kyle Rodgers

So what your saying is that ac developpers are waiting for a third party to develop a tool that can be used on any network (ivao, vatsim, va) and that will be adopted by all of them.

My forecast : this will never happen.

Vatsim is already using hoppie via euroscope plugins and also developping there cpdlc function via their new pilot client, on ivao I think they will do some cpdlc function with the new ivac and they have already some webbased custom solution, let them time and they will come with there own tool for the whole network.

My guess is that, even if a third party developper get out from nowhere with a shinny cross-plateform-cross-network cpdlc/datalink tool, I don't think networks will abandon what they have already develop for their own.

That's where I think a/c developpers are mistaking, it seems to me to be a lack of pragmatism.

Bye

Kenz

Or, more simply, there are more pressing features with a wider target audience?

This sort of thing should be network led, expose a robust API and release an SDK, stop requiring developers be NDA'd to the eyeballs before they can even think about working on integrating. Make it easy to do and it will become a standard feature across lots of developers. Continue to be opaque and developers will continue to pursue features which are easier to implement and appeal to a wider audience.

Even if it was one API per network, there's only two of them.....

So what your saying is that ac developpers are waiting for a third party to develop a tool that can be used on any network (ivao, vatsim, va) and that will be adopted by all of them.

You keep making assumptions about what I'm saying here, and I don't quite appreciate it. I never said, nor did I imply that devs are waiting for a third party.

I'm stating the reasons that you don't see a wider audience using CPDLC-type implementations in aircraft right now. End. No further inference about the future.

My guess is that, even if a third party developper get out from nowhere with a shinny cross-plateform-cross-network cpdlc/datalink tool, I don't think networks will abandon what they have already develop for their own.

That's an odd statement given the limited use of the existing CPDLC solutions out there. I think there needs to be a catalyst. Perhaps it'll be a popular developer releasing an aircraft with CPDLC in it. One of those "if you build it, they will come" things.

...however, in order for that dev to make it worth while, they'll have to figure out how to hit the largest target audience.

Kyle Rodgers

What is your post supposed to mean?

CPDLC will be included

Is it the day of mystery? I don't understand two posts in a row today! (Or maybe my brain went away...)  :P

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

What is your post supposed to mean?

I wrote something then decided to delete it you cant delete posts so i just put ...