Sign in to follow this  
Patco Lch

Salute the titans of yore

Saw a documentary the other day on the development of the 747. Interesting that the whale was conceived as a pipe dream between Alen of Boeing and Trippe of Panam on a fishing trip and agreed to a 24 month time line to wheels up on prototype. And they did it! The engines even had to be developed. The first hulls where rolled out with model engine pods because they didn't have an engine for the thing yet. Compare that to how long it takes our favorite  sim aircraft developer to  get a simulation to us from the time it is announced. I guess that's why they were the greatest generation.

Vic green

But that was their main occupation.  Today's developers are generally doing their thing as an avocation.  They are working on your flight sim project during their spare time, as they get a chance.  Apples and Oranges.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I am one who does work full-time at FSX/P3D development, and it still takes me up to two years per project... :He He:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'll bet all nine people who worked for Boeing at the time were really, really, really busy!

Richard P. Kelly

The joke is lost on me, since Boeing was hardly a startup at the time they designed the 747.

No joke intended though it was a poor comparison to sim developers. But keep in mind, though Boeing was no start up, the 747 was not a government contract with cost over runs accepted. Allen bet the company on the project. First they had to build a production facility big enough. At the time they didn't have advanced design software of today. They had to decide if they wanted a single isle double decker or the wide body concept. Had to explore the aerodynamic effect of things like wing flutter on such a large frame. The high bypass engines developed for the 747 exploded during ground test to name just a few of problems overcome. Though they had more then the above stated 9 employees, you guessed it, labor issues. So I say again, that was the greatest generation.   

Vic green

A tad tough to compare to flightsim developers from this aspect as well...Considering the fact that many of us are trying to *almost single handedly* replicate complex systems that teams of engineers developed. Takes a while....

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

The obvious  difference is that Boeing had a large team of professionals working on the 747...