Sign in to follow this  
Storm

OOM Error after SP1D

How long for box customers?

Vernon,

You've already asked this and we've already answered it. Moreover, this is an off-topic question for this thread.

Kyle Rodgers

To me, it's not surprising at all, but that's the science side of me speaking.

Earlier I mentioned flaws in the scientific method to prove things here. EGLL-ENGM and ESSA-ENGM isn't controlling for variables. You have two: the plane and the route pair. This crosses different terrain, utilizes different airports (which may or may not be add on), and utilizes different aircraft.

Fly the same route pair, between the same airports with the two aircraft and I'm betting you'll see similar results. If you want to take the proof a step further and still have your old installer, install the SP1c version, test, and then install the SP1d version. I'm betting they'll be nearly exactly the same (if not slightly higher in SP1d t accommodate the radar and terrain sweep additions).

I'm honestly getting pretty tired of the assertion that the burden here is on us to update our products to use less VAS, but scenery developers just get a pass. If you look at the most egregious cases of VAS use, you'll find them in scenery, but if you look at the accusatory interweb commentary, there's a whole bunch of it aimed at the aircraft developers.

I've been doing just that, and so far, using fairly short flights, see about what you are saying.

I can run either SP1c, or SP1d using the same exact fsx.cfg, as I have multiple FSX installs on the same puter. The one I used for SP1c is a recent backup of my everyday sim, and still has SP1c installed. My everyday install has SP1d, and I also have it on the Steam version, but so far, I've limited my testing only to FSX-MS.

I do see a bit more VAS usage with SP1d, but nothing terribly drastic. On one test I did a while ago, I flew to one local airport, KHOU, where I landed, and then I took off again, and flew to KIAH where I also landed. I did this with both versions. At the end of the two airport trip, SP1c VAS usage was appx 1496.000 and SP1d ended up as 1542.000. A little more, but nothing too drastic. On both of these trips, I did not use the radar at all, being as SP1c does not support it.

My VAS at KHOU after landing was slightly less for each, as would be expected, being I'd only been to one airport.

Then I fired up ASN and flew the SP1d to KHOU using the radar. Not much rain in the area, but plenty of fog, and fairly low vis. I was basically showing nothing on the radar, being not much actual rain, which would be expected. Fog does not show much at all on radar, as the droplets are too small and don't give much to hit on..

I've found that the usage of radar in SP1d basically amounts to zilch as far as increased VAS or memory usage as far as fsx.exe. What does increase the VAS is ASN. And of course, one can't expect a free lunch with a program of it's type. During the flight ASN VAS usage was appx 315k or so..

After landing at KHOU where the vis was low, and I got visual of the runway at say 400-500 feet?? or so, the ASN VAS was up to appx 335k. The VAS for the SP1d was actually slightly lower than the usage for the flight with good vis and no radar usage.. Go figure..

So..at this time with limited and not overly scientific testing, I'm seeing about what you say should happen.

ASN is using a chunk, so if one was not using ASN before SP1d, but installed it afterwards in order to take advantage of the radar, that's gonna be a 300+ chunk of VAS down the drain. And SP1d is using a little bit more too, but like I say, doesn't seem to be drastic..

If one was using ASN before with SP1c, there really should be little difference. Just the small increase in SP1d usage. Of course, not everyone's puter is the same, so I can only state what I'm seeing here.

BTW, the weather I used on the first two tests was the exact same "startup flight" weather, and not using any real weather program. It was good weather with just a few clouds.

I was using process explorer to watch the fsx.exe working and VAS usage.

The radar hit is basically nada to puny in the plane itself as far as I can see. Same with terrain. The main hit is all in ASN's VAS usage, not the NGX itself.

The main hit is all in ASN's VAS usage, not the NGX itself.

I have been told by HiFi that ASN does not use any of the 4GB that is normally available to FSX, If that is true or not, I can't say except that when I hear the dings of OOM I have noticed on Process Explorer that FSX is at 3.9GB+ and ASN at 400-450MB.

This is a quote from Kostas at HiFi tech support "Yes, it's running outside the 4GB limitation, so if you have 6, 8 or 16GB of system RAM, ASN will never cause you an issue. In machines where only 4GB of RAM is installed, then in some cases (depending on actual fsx vas and other running applications), issues may come up."

Okay, I have fresh off the sim information to pass along. I rolled back my 737NGX to SP1C and ran the same routes twice with my original scenery settings as when I encountered the OOM's with SP1D. The first time all went well and I was able to complete the flight to landing and taxi to the gate without a CTD. However, I did hear several audible OOM warning bell sounds in the background but I continued to the gate and shutdown. After reaching the gate, I paused to check the status of the OOM error and oddly enough, there was no error message placard on the screen. I shut down both the flight and FSX normally with no issues. Frame rates remained normal as did all functions of the systems off the model. On the previous OOM's with SP1D, the warning sounds began a good 25 nautical miles away from the airport and continued until I was established on the ILS when I began seeing graphics problems as well as the loss of the PFD's and other displays on thy panel(followed by the CTD and OOM warning message on screen).

Post flight I recalled reading about people having OOM's with FSX (and many other programs) and saw this fix for 32bit program usage w7x54 listed on one FSX related page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947246

Some here may argue the relevance of using that automatic registry fix and I won't argue but after I tried it. I am now getting the 737NGX(SP1C) all the way through the same route with no OOM error or audible warning and also of note, the frame rates for whatever reason are noticeably smoother now. Be it as it may, I agree some users are certainly having an issue with SP1D while many users may not be but from a wealth of experience on such matters which many of us have, there may be a mix of causes from one user PC from another which are causing OOM's and other glitches. I'd still urge investigating things further to see if the culprit(s) can be found and alleviated. I am going to continue testing in a number of sceneries and settings to see if there's any more occurrances or issues regarding this matter. BTW, I saved the P-8A folder and placed it back in FSX and it works fine with SP1C.

I rather think the difference between having OOM's and not having OOM's is down to FSX settings.

Yesterday I had a flight from Fly Tampa's EKCH (Copenhagen Kastrup) to Aerosofts EGLL Extended (London Heathrow) using the PMDG 737 NGX with SP1D and ASN.

Both airports are known to cause OOM with complex aircraft.

Using FSUIPC to monitor VAS and warning me if I get dangerous near to an OOM, I did not get a single warning.

Unluckily I did not write down VAS value at the start and end of the session.

Note that I also have ORBX Global base installed, as well as almost all German Airports from Aerosoft (and also activated).

The PMDG 737 NGX is installed with VC model and textures on High.

My FSX texture max load is at the default 1024.

I Use My traffic 2013, with GA at 15% and Airliners at 30%

Since I mostly fly from airports with AES, I have turned of Airport vehicles.

Road, boat and ship traffic are at max 16%.

ASN uses default settings.

Autogen is on Normal and LOD is set to default 4.5 and scenery objects on Dense.

The most important thing is to disable as much Photo realistic scenery as possible. Also keeping autogen on Normal and traffic not higher thatn 30 might help.

Finn Jacobsen

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

I agree, your listed settings are very close to my own and they certainly help go a long way to help prevent OOM issues.

For some reason I belive the problem might be between ASN and the NGX communication i ll check later today with other aircraft as I get strange hangs for a split second that I didn't have before.

I have been told by HiFi that ASN does not use any of the 4GB that is normally available to FSX, If that is true or not, I can't say except that when I hear the dings of OOM I have noticed on Process Explorer that FSX is at 3.9GB+ and ASN at 400-450MB.

This is a quote from Kostas at HiFi tech support "Yes, it's running outside the 4GB limitation, so if you have 6, 8 or 16GB of system RAM, ASN will never cause you an issue. In machines where only 4GB of RAM is installed, then in some cases (depending on actual fsx vas and other running applications), issues may come up."

If thats the case, then the new NGX update was causing my problems. I reinstalled it and now everything seem fine. VAS usage is back to normal, or FSX:SE normal.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth