Sign in to follow this  
HH

Taxiing with the Throttle in Idle Position

Hi,

I'm new to X-Plane. It seems that the planes like to start rolling even though the throttle is in idle position. I have just bought the Tomahawk II from Alabeo and this one does it too. I have only flown the Grob G115 in the real world and I don't recall it behaving like this. Is this a bug in X-Plane in general or is there a setting I'm missing?

Cheers,

Hakim Harder

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As you likely know, on some aircraft such as the King Air, you can pull the fuel lever back to ground fine.  Some still roll but not as fast.  There are some ground issues with some aircraft related to rolling friction settings.  Others like the 172 do not suffer from that.  I always set brakes when starting engines, which is good practice anyway, and one of the buttons on my yoke is assigned to brake toggle on/off.

That's a good idea. How do you set brakes as on when loading a flight?

Yes, the parking brake is off by default in the latest versions of XP 10, so the very first thing I do is grab the parking brake button.  I have a CH Eclipse yoke and use the button on the left handle as a brake.  I use normal "B" key braking, not "V" maximum braking assigned to that button.

Ok, I may have found out why I experience this unrealistic behaviour by reading Andy Goldstein's post in the thread Ground Handling on the X-Plane.org forums. He wrote:

The underlying problem is that X-Plane doesn't model the contact patch friction of a steerable wheel.

Maybe the odd behaviour is also caused because of this missing contact patch friction. I know about the parking brake trick. This is also how I do it. I have never flown the Tomahawk in the real world but I find it hard to believe that it would start taxiing when under 800RPM. I know that the Grob G155 (a carbon composite two seater) certainly wouldn't.

I hope LR will fix this issue in the future as it makes this part for the "ultra realistic" sim a bit unrealistic.

Anyway, I know the King Air can be a beast to taxi. I have only flown it in FSX (the C90B in my signature). However, if you "tame" the propellers it's a quite gentle lady :)