Sign in to follow this  
curt1

Confused about "Request Class D Airspace Transition"

Whenever I'm about to enter Class C airspace, the ATC options list shows "Request Class D Airspace Transition".  I would understand that if I was already in Class D airspace, but there's no Class D airport near my location.  I'm attempting to fly from Class E into Class C, but the Class D transition keeps presenting itself.  Thanks to anyone who can straighten me out.

Where? What airport are you near? Class D is denoted by a dashed blue circle around a towered airport (USA)

If you're in class D without radio comms with ATC you're too late lol

Oh from reading your post are you meaning class C? Maybe the FSX database had that airport as a class D in 2006...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ryan, since you're an ATC guy, I'd be interested in knowing which airports around the country have changed airspace designations over the last five years or so, especially which airports changed from C to B or B to C if there are any, or even D to C.  I kind of have a thing for almanac like statistics.  Also, is there a place to find this type of data?  Thanks!

As far as the original question, this may be a little off topic, but I got my PPL at a Class C airport, then got my Instrument and Commercial at a Class D airport located close to a Class C, and I have never uttered the phrase in your title before.  To fly into Class D airspace, you are only required two-way radio communications, you shouldn't have to ask for a "transition."  Simply establishing radio comm implies clearance into the airspace.  This is the same with Class C as well, except that you will need a transponder with mode C in addition to the two-way radio communication.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Ryan, since you're an ATC guy, I'd be interested in knowing which airports around the country have changed airspace designations over the last five years or so, especially which airports changed from C to B or B to C if there are any, or even D to C.  I kind of have a thing for almanac like statistics.  Also, is there a place to find this type of data?  Thanks!

I work for the FAA too and I havent seen statistics like this anywhere before. I'd be interested though as the tower/tracon I work at has a TRSA with a Class D, which there aren't many of anymore. Most TRSA'S converted to Class C but there is a handful left.

Brett are you in Michigan by any chance?  We have Kalamazoo and Muskegon, both of which are Class D with a TRSA.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Brett are you in Michigan by any chance?  We have Kalamazoo and Muskegon, both of which are Class D with a TRSA.

TRI Tri-Cities, TN

You would just establish 2 way communication and state your intent to transit.

However since 2 way has to be established before entry into class D, I have requested to transit to (direction) to be nice to ATC. But that's real life. In sim I'm unable to answer this one...

supporter.jpg

and I have never uttered the phrase in your title before.  To fly into Class D airspace, you are only required two-way radio communications, you shouldn't have to ask for a "transition."  Simply establishing radio comm implies clearance into the airspace.  This is the same with Class C as well, except that you will need a transponder with mode C in addition to the two-way radio communication.

Yes this is correct....  but in practice most pilots just use the words transition....  Some even verify they can transition the delta when talking to approach control.  So I've just given up and I use transition approved... it's one of those practical things about ATC.

I work for the FAA too and I havent seen statistics like this anywhere before. I'd be interested though as the tower/tracon I work at has a TRSA with a Class D, which there aren't many of anymore. Most TRSA'S converted to Class C but there is a handful left.

FAR is that....  we aren't a TRSA but are a tower/tracon here in DLH

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Where? What airport are you near? Class D is denoted by a dashed blue circle around a towered airport (USA)

Oh from reading your post are you meaning class C? Maybe the FSX database had that airport as a class D in 2006...

Ryan, I'm just a few miles outside of the Class C airspace of KIND, Indianapolis.  I contact tower to transition through Class C, but FSX gives me the option #2 of requesting Class D transition.  If I contact KIND approach, then it allows me to request Class C transition.  I'm just puzzled why tower keeps suggesting a Class D transition as it doesn't pertain.  I also tried this at other Class C airports with the same result.  I've never heard anyone else discuss this topic, but I'm curious about the discrepancy.

Ryan, I'm just a few miles outside of the Class C airspace of KIND, Indianapolis.  I contact tower to transition through Class C, but FSX gives me the option #2 of requesting Class D transition.  If I contact KIND approach, then it allows me to request Class C transition.  I'm just puzzled why tower keeps suggesting a Class D transition as it doesn't pertain.  I also tried this at other Class C airports with the same result.  I've never heard anyone else discuss this topic, but I'm curious about the discrepancy.

What altitude are you at?

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

What altitude are you at?

I believe around 3500 ft.

I'm starting to think this is just a fixed menu item, and not related to where you are or any other criteria.  I haven't used the FSX atc enough to know what all it can or can't do, but this Class D option has caused confusion.  I think I'll just ignore it unless I'm actually nearing a Class D airport.