Sign in to follow this  
Gregdpw

Can I offset a star waypoint?

just wondering if I can offset a waypoint connected to my star? Say for example on my star there is some bad weather and I want to move my waypoint to the left 5 miles and just connect up to the next waypoint no problem.

Thanks guys

In NGX tutorial #2 there is a really good exercise in using the offset function.

It is very useful in this situation.

just wondering if I can offset a waypoint connected to my star? Say for example on my star there is some bad weather and I want to move my waypoint to the left 5 miles and just connect up to the next waypoint no problem.

Honestly - real world - the pilot would (advise the controller and) just handle this in heading select (or better - track select, if available). After addressing the weather issue, advise the controller and they'll tell you to rejoin the arrival at [FIX]. Upselect the fix. Hit EXEC. Done.

Much better than going head down in the busy terminal environment to force the automation to do something it really doesn't need to do. Use the tools efficiently. Sometimes, this means ignoring the magenta for a bit.

Kyle Rodgers

That's what I was thinking too. Just heading select a bit to the left then rejoin the way point

Honestly - real world - the pilot would (advise the controller and) just handle this in heading select (or better - track select, if available). After addressing the weather issue, advise the controller and they'll tell you to rejoin the arrival at [FIX]. Upselect the fix. Hit EXEC. Done.

Much better than going head down in the busy terminal environment to force the automation to do something it really doesn't need to do. Use the tools efficiently. Sometimes, this means ignoring the magenta for a bit.

In the US, asking for headings is common for deviation. In Asia, it was usually on offset. I think the U.S. is the outlier on this one.

Matt Cee

In the US, asking for headings is common for deviation. In Asia, it was usually on offset. I think the U.S. is the outlier on this one.

Good point. Forgot how dependent everyone else is on automation (if not in the plane, in the flow management systems in the control facilities - heaven forbit someone be off path and off time).

Kyle Rodgers

I may well be wrong here (usual caveat in this particular forum: the 737 isn't my speciality) but I'm fairly certain that you cannot (or should not be able to) OFFSET L/R on a STAR (or SID). I'm 99% certain that the FMC won't let you, certainly in the 747.

I'll have a check of the books though.

EDIT: Just to confirm, the 747 FCOM states:

Route Offset

Valid entry is L (left) or R (right) XX (XX is any number between 1 and 99).

Offset propagates along the route to a Standard Terminal Arrival (STAR), approach or approach transition, discontinuity, end of route, track change greater than 135 degrees, or holding pattern.

I'd be surprised if the 737 differed in this regard but that's not to say it's not the case!

I may well be wrong here (usual caveat in this particular forum: the 737 isn't my speciality) but I'm fairly certain that you cannot (or should not be able to) OFFSET L/R on a STAR (or SID). I'm 99% certain that the FMC won't let you, certainly in the 747.

I'll have a check of the books though.

EDIT: Just to confirm, the 747 FCOM states:

I'd be surprised if the 737 differed in this regard but that's not to say it's not the case!

You can offset up to  the approach or approach transition on the 737.

Matt Cee