Sign in to follow this  
Mike T

Legit or FS Phishing?

Got this in my email today. I am a previous FS2004 beta tester. Anybody know if this is "real" or somebodies attempt to put harmful files on my PC?-------Hi (my name here.) Greetings from the Flight Simulator team:At long last the new hardware is up and running and ready to start collecting data from all of you who have been so patient about helping us out. We

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Ejoiner,<Did you apply to a recent Microsoft invitation to help them regarding your flying preferences in FS9? Almost certainly you did hence the reason why you have now received the invitation. Who else would it have come from? :-roll Look about 5 messages down from this one. You'll find a discussion on this very subject.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

"Who else would it have come from? "It never hurts to be careful. "Phishing" is quite common and profitable.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Phishing is one thing. Responding to an invitation and then questioning the invitation is another thing. If all those who submitted their request to be part of the survey had been as suspicious no-one would be sending info back to Microsoft.And looking further down this board would have answered his question.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I read several posts here from users who got a link from MS to download the software to collect info when they use FS9, but they had no intention of installing it. Then why sign up for it in the first place :-roll .Its a great chance to help the FS team making our experience with FS better.

>I read several posts here from users who got a link from MS>to download the software to collect info when they use FS9,>but they had no intention of installing it. Then why sign up>for it in the first place :-roll .The typical "Microsoft is evil" attitude among the punters may have a lot to do with it.And of course the tendency of a lot of people to not read what they sign (and even fewer read what they agree to when they click "ok" or "next" on a website or software installer).

Guest DemolitionMan

I'm 100% sure that it's legit.I recieved it too this morning, and have already installed it. I see it as my chance to give a little bit back to this great hobby that's given me so much pleasure over the years.And I think it's great that MS is listening to what the users want, if nobody takes part in the survey, we'll only have ourselves to blame when FS10 doesn't come up to our expectations :-) BestGrahame (EDHL)

Sheesh.... its not about Microsoft.. dang it.Its about.. the source of the e-mail. Is it legit or not. Get a clue.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest DannyBoy

Yes it is legit, I also received it and have installed it with no problems. This is our way of letting MS what we want in FS10Danny

You know, this is getting kind of silly now. Did you people sign up to help test or not? If you didn't then there would be reason to be suspicious, if you did then what's the deal?It takes VERY little legwork to find out if this is phishing because you can easily do a search on the IP address / domain names and see where it is pointing. The email also has an email address that you can respond to and get an answer which too can be verified by simply looking at the SMTP server from where the email originated.I wonder if the FS Team looks at these threads and shake their heads? Here's the scenario:FS User: Hey Microsoft, you never listen to us when you develop anything, what's wrong with you guys.FS Team: Okay, you're right, sign up here and we'll include your input.FS User: Who are you again?:-lol :-rollMike T.