Sign in to follow this  
addman

Does FTX: Trees HD shimmer a lot in P3Dv2.5?

Thinking about picking it up since I fly low and slow a lot. Does the trees shimmer a lot though? I use 8xMSAA but no FXAA because it smudges edges too much. Also, what's the consensus on performance in P3Dv2.5? better, worse or not much of a difference? Feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers!/Andreas

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have not noticed any more shimmer than the non HD versions myself. I use 4xMSAA with DSR and 20% smoothing. The trees are perfect if you like skimming the treetops in the Trike or similar. Performance is the same for me in P3D with a slight gain over very dense woodland, such as FTX Norway. In FSX I can get 15% more, though I always run with a 30fps lock. The extra overhead is nice to have though.

No shimmering here, using 4XMSAA with FXAA in Windowed mode and 4XMSAA and 1.78X DSR with 23% smoothing in Windowed Fullscreen.

No shimmer

No better fps

Look better.

Not noticed any shimmering either. Just using internal P3D AA settings.

Trees look sharper and better defined at low level. Haven't noticed any difference in FPS.

Sounds like a good investment then, think I'll pick them up in my next add-on spending spree.

I resized them to half their original size : still looking better than the default trees and less impact on performance..

No shimmering with 4x MSAA and 5920x1080 reolution.

Cool! I have seen screenshots of the trees and they look kind of weird from top down view and from some angles. They have like a + shape to them. Is this noticeable? Because the regular Orbx trees doesn't seem to prominently display like that.