Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMoser

FreeMesh X Global 1.0 - Release Announcement

Hi,

I am just getting back into Flight Simulation and have switched to P3D.

One question with this mesh, does it sit below ORBX!VECTOR_AEC but above Default Scenery and Default Terrain?

Thanks

Regards

Stan

Hi Stan,

It can sit above all the Vector entries and default scenery entries. It only should sit below any 3rd party airports and or landclass.

Hi,

Thanks for the response, I have placed it above all of the Orbx items and below my add-on airports etc. I need to have a look around and see the effect.

Merry Christmas

Regards

Stan

Sorry, still no joy. I have tried placing the FremeshX entry in several places but the mountains in my areas are very rounded still.

Currently sitting at priority 40 with Orbx entries 41 increasing to 181 for base scenery and my add ons are 39 downloards to 1?

Regards

Stan

Sorry, still no joy. I have tried placing the FremeshX entry in several places but the mountains in my areas are very rounded still.

Currently sitting at priority 40 with Orbx entries 41 increasing to 181 for base scenery and my add ons are 39 downloards to 1?

Regards

Stan

Hi Stan,

Sorry for the difficulties. Where is your area? I'll take a few screenshots of the area to compare with yours.

Hi,

I've downloaded FreeMesh X for Europe. One test I did was to go to Edinburgh in Scotland and slew to the mountains. I sat there for a while to let the scenery catch up, but still rounded peaks.

Regards

Stan

Have you placed the mesh above other meshes? Have you tried just flying an aircraft over those mountains? Have you set your scenery sliders appropriately?

Dumb questions I realise, but sometimes we can all overlook stuff.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

One thing to check is do you have 35 files in the Scenery folder totaling 4.07GB?

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

And I may add it's still possible to have rounded peaks; 30 meter resolution does not guarantee sharp peaks. Also this depends on the specific mountain -- and its age.

One way to ensure the mesh is working is go look Suilven in Scotland. It doesn't really exist in the stock mesh.

• Upvote 1

And I may add it's still possible to have rounded peaks; 30 meter resolution does not guarantee sharp peaks. Also this depends on the specific mountain -- and its age.

One way to ensure the mesh is working is go look Suilven in Scotland. It doesn't really exist in the stock mesh.

Do you update the mesh resolution in the near future?

Reply to Bluestar - I have 34 files at 3.50GB. I will re-download the file from the Web page.

Reply to AviatorMoser - Went to Suilven and it's definitely not like the picture in the link. It's totally rounded?

Regards

Stan

Something is definitely not right. I went to Snowdonia as I know this area well being stationed at RAF Valley for five years.

The mountains here seem to have blue sloping sides!!!

Turned up the sliders to max, same thing. Turned off FreeMesh, no change. Turned of the Orbx Wales Mesh, no change.

Anyone have any clues?

Regards

Stan

Stan,

In your Scenery Library -

1.  Make sure FreeMesh X - Europe is Enabled.

2.  Move FreeMesh X - Europe to the top, Priority 1.

This should allow you to make sure nothing is interfering with it.

blaustern

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Do you update the mesh resolution in the near future?

If new (free) source data becomes available that is vastly better than the SRTM 3.0 dataset, then yes. I would love to update the resolution, but I don't see this happening anytime soon.

Reply to Bluestar - I have 34 files at 3.50GB. I will re-download the file from the Web page.

Reply to AviatorMoser - Went to Suilven and it's definitely not like the picture in the link. It's totally rounded?

Regards

Stan

Here is Suilven with FreeMeshX enabled.

NmhqSXy.jpg

This is Suilven without FreeMeshX. The improvement should be noticeable when FMX is enabled.

AMR8xrX.jpg

It's clear FreeMeshX does not make 1:1 reproductions of mountainous features -- that is a limitation of source data and the engine. However, what it aims to do is to resolve most major and some minor features of the terrain that maybe neglected in the stock data -- especially outside of the USA and Europe. Entire mountain chains are reduced to blobs in the stock data in some places, e.g. South America or the Sinai;

0grf9K7.jpg

uxmLTUn.png

FreeMeshX brings those mountains to life. In places where the stock data is OK, e.g. Europe, then the improvements are more subtle and are often corrections to the stock mesh, such as Suilven example. If the peaks are not sharp enough for your taste, then that is something I probably cannot achieve with my dataset although I tried to use to the best source data available with manual corrections to any noise.

• Upvote 2

Thanks to all for the help, unfortunately, I shut down my FS PC last night and now it won't start-up again!!!

I think the CPU has given up.

Regards

Stan