Sign in to follow this  
pcubine

What Am I Doing Wrong - The OC and Liveries?

The Operations Center is up to date when I do the steps listed below.

Before uninstall/install I run the OC and the close it. I uninstall using one of two ways.

To accomplish a full removal and clean install of the PMDG 777-200LR/F, follow these steps:

1.Uninstall the product from Control Panel\Programs & Features.

2.Manually delete the PMDG 777-200LR and PMDG 777F folders in FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes.

3.Manually delete the FSX\PMDG\PMDG 777X folder.

4.Manually delete the PMDG 777-200LR and PMDG 777F folders in C:\Users\(Your Windows Username)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\SimObjects

- You may need to enable the Windows folder option "Show hidden files and folders" to see this location.

These steps are per Ryan Maziarz when SP1 became available.

-or-

After installing the base 777X and doing a restart I run the OC again per this “Run the PMDG Operations Center and go to the settings wheel at the top right.  Instruct the OC to update your liveries and reinstall them all, etc” per Robert Randazzo.  When I click on the wheel it says select product which I do. Nothing about repairing liveries appears. Click on the wheel again. Select product. Nothing about liveries, Select various categories such as Performance Settings, Aircraft Specific Settings, Livery Manager, Version, etc under Menu on the left side of the page.

Eventually I end up downloading and installing the liveries and doing the PMDG setup for each aircraft.

Any suggestions or comments? Thank you.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Michael,

I think you are supposed to leave the aircraft folders, otherwise the OC will not have anything to work with once the update is installed.

What Robert said.  Those instructions from Ryan from many months ago unfortunately only applied to that one specific service pack. It was necessary because of changes made to panel states and configuration files.

Currently, the instructions have been and are simply remove current version with either installer or control panel and install new version. This leaves your liveries and panels in place and you can reuse.  During testing, I found that for the P3D only (because I have concurrent FSX/FSXSE installed) I could simply run the new installer on top of existing version and it would upgrade without problem.  The instruction to remove and install were to keep it simple and uniform for all platform combinations.

Sorry Michael you took the long path.

Currently, the instructions have been and are simply remove current version with either installer or control panel and install new version.
So it is an uninstall using Programs and Features/Control Panel and don't delete any folders. Then install. And run OC before after the uninstall/install.

So it is an uninstall using Programs and Features/Control Panel and don't delete any folders. Then install. And run OC before after the uninstall/install.

Exactly.

Deleting folders gets rid of panel states, run times (for failures), aircraft specific settings, and aircraft config files that contain livery instantiations.  You get to keep all of that unless the version update specifically instructs you to start clean by deleting those folders.  The OC is designed to update the aircraft config files that are written during installation to put the livery instantiations back for you (called a repair method).

There are a lot of pieces, which make the OC such a valuable tool for the user who doesn't need to know how all this stuff works under the hood.

Hi Michael,

Look at it this way... you now have a wonderful, brand spanking new, no-fault 777 in your hangar!  Enjoy flying her.