Sign in to follow this  
boeingaviation

Performance Increase from i7-2600k vs i7-4790K

Hi Folks,

Been running P3D for a while now, but my machine that I have had for 5 years, the motherboard is failing and the pc is intermittently working.

I’ve done quite a bit of research and I have decided to get the i7-4790k with an Asus Maximus VII Hero mobo.

Just wanted to get some peoples perception on how much performance difference I will get from the 2600K to the 4790K Devils Canyon Chip.

Look forward to your responses.

PS I have to upgrade anyway as you can no longer purchase new socket 1155 motherboards and so I need a new cpu aswell.

Thanks.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am running the 2600k also, and although it will be another year before I upgrade, having an idea of the difference would be nice. The chip should be pretty cheap next year I would assume. 

Bob

I really think the best to get a better performance. It will be if any of the SIMs be x64bit and not 32bit. But I want to know the results too.

This was my upgrade path, same setup. I am running Asus Maximus VII Hero mobo and 4790k. I upgraded from 2600k, and the benefits at stock speeds were marginal. However, I won the processor lotto and my 4790k overclocks like a beast, 4.8 at 1.22v. The ROG mobo is great for over clocking, IMO you can't get any better. At these speeds the proc really shines and I'm very pleased with my p3d setup. Frames locked at 60 and they rarely drop below 30. If you are upgrading out of necessity then this setup is hard to beat, a wise choice. Until skylane, then who knows. Several of us have this setup and can offer good advice on your hardware. Good luck and overclock it!! Now if I could only get rid of these oom's......

Hi Guys,

I just went from an i7 980X to an i7-4790, glad I made the jump.

I will be upgrading out of neccesaty. My current motherboard is starting to fail so I can't wait for broadwell or skylake.

So then components I have listed will be going into an antec 1200 case with a corsair h80i cooler. I'm just a bit concerned that the large heatsinks around the board are going to get in the way of my cooler radiator and fan? On my current board there is plenty of gap between the heatsinks around the cpu area and the h80i radiator just wondering if it will still fit with the Vii Hero board.

Thanks

Not exactly what you described but I upgraded too last year.

I upgraded from a 2600K to a 5820K and got about 20% more fps and it made the sim more fluid...

The 2600 had 4 cores and the 5820 has 6 .

As I am using photoscenery , instead of 3 terrain cores I now have 5.

So would it be a better option to go the i7 5820k over the 4790k coz 5820k is broadwell isn't it?