Sign in to follow this  
leefree

Making the move to FSX Soooo... hardware stuff ;)

Been reading too that the AMD FX 8350 can run Prepar3D. I'm digging this already ;)

"Can run" in the sense that it doesn't crash when booted up, or "can run" in that it gives good performance?  Any links to this?

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

"Can run" in the sense that it doesn't crash when booted up, or "can run" in that it gives good performance?  Any links to this?

This was one of the videos I ran into whilst doing research.

Not to mention, a user on facebook advised me to change a setting in my P3D cfg file which was "OPTIMIZED_PARTS=0" change the zero to a one and that should help boost frame rates and I can attest to that. I've gotten better frame rates with settings on medium to high. The only thing I haven't increased was AI airline traffic but at current moment, I am running P3D way better than FSX with my current setup consisting of GeForce GTX 650Ti AMD Phenom 2 X6 1045T Processor. So I'm thinking rather than spending a ton to get a i7 to run FSX, I firmly believe that I can run P3D with addons at great frame rates with a AMD FX 8350.

This was one of the videos I ran into whilst doing research.

Was there supposed to be a link there? Nothing is showing up for me.

James David Walley

The phenom 2 has much better Ipc then fx43,63,83,93,95 series.

A video says nothing.

I like amd very nice to overclock , have a LOT of them.

Its nothing to have for fsx p3d even the intel g3258 is approx 20% faster.

Does that video specify anywhere that it's using P3D?

Personally, I found that clip downright weird, in that it seemed that a lot of elements that should be 3D in either P3D or FSX looked 2D instead -- in particular, the wings and the sky before takeoff look more like 2D graphics composited into a video than the real-time capture of FSX/P3D.

I also find it curious that, although the poster responded to lots of questions and comments about his hardware, the minute anyone asked about which add-ons he was using, the only response was crickets chirping…

James David Walley

Does that video specify anywhere that it's using P3D?

Personally, I found that clip downright weird, in that it seemed that a lot of elements that should be 3D in either P3D or FSX looked 2D instead -- in particular, the wings and the sky before takeoff look more like 2D graphics composited into a video than the real-time capture of FSX/P3D.

I also find it curious that, although the poster responded to lots of questions and comments about his hardware, the minute anyone asked about which add-ons he was using, the only response was crickets chirping…

Ya now after watching that video a few times, the scenery stuff does look kinda low quality. Hmmm.... gotta rethink this stuff.

Wait. Don't buy anything right now. Be patient.

Intel will be releasing their all new processor and motherboard standard on the 17th of August. It's the Skylake line. It brings about a new motherboard design, LGA-1151, as opposed to today's LGA-1150. This means anything you buy right now will not be compatible with the new and shiny motherboards/processors of tomorrow.

Even if you can't afford the new processor and motherboard, waiting until the end of August should net you significant savings with price drops on the "old" range.

Aamir Thacker

Agreed -- right now, my computer is in desperate need of a rebuild/upgrade, but I'm holding out until Skylake comes out and the first FSXMark11 scores come out. If they're a significant improvement, I'll go with a 6700K and LGA1151 motherboard, if not, I'll go with a 4970K and LGA1150. In the meantime, I'll stick with my current FX-6300 and run FSX stock without add-ons, which still gives acceptable FPS.

James David Walley

Yep. Already budgeted $1000-ish to spend on a new motherboard and processor, just waiting like a hawk now.

Also going to have funds available next month for a 980Ti. Planned to go with a Titan X but I simply have no use for the additional VRAM, since I run at 1080p. The second one will follow if P3D really follows up on its SLI profile and gives better scaling.

Aamir Thacker