Sign in to follow this  
rparson99

P3D Low Cloud Offset

This is an option in Active Sky Next which was on by default (I think, dont remember setting it) on my setup.  It is recommed to be set to a value of 500 for P3d.  According to the purpose, depending on the cloud graphics you use you can offset the level of the cloud base to help keep clouds from touching the ground.

Well, last night I turned it OFF, I have REX4 Texture Direct.  I was very surprised to see the thick, lush, clouds that I use to have come back.  So this setting, in the case of Rex Texture Direct clouds, actually causes the clouds to compress and appear flatter.  Be mindful of this.  I didn't see any instance of clouds touching the ground....so this setting can be an over compensation if not purposely set.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

This is a good topic for the HiFi Forum here in AVSIM.

Please check the user guide for ASN, page 63.  You've got the purpose of this setting wrong. Has nothing to do with clouds becoming fog (another name for clouds on the ground).  Default is zero. I probably have mine set to 500, and with REX Soft Clouds all looks very good.

Doesn't compress the clouds on my system.

Vic

Interesting....

I don't know why I had it set to 500ft...maybe earlier I mistook the phrasing as a recommendation for P3d.  The clouds didn't look bad, just not as full as they do appear when the setting is at "0".  I do see the difference across diferent low level cloud types includng soft clouds.  So, for those curious and that have a setting other than "0", they should bare in mind that rendition of the clouds could be affected by this setting.

I think this was to compensate for a cloud size/scale bug in an earlier version of P3D, maybe 2.3? I believe when LM fixed the cloud that issue then there should be no need to tick that option in ASN.