Sign in to follow this  
tsa737

is there a sim for Apple mac computers

What's the performance like on Macs?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I have been using MacBook Pro's with Flight Sims for years... I have been quite happy with the performance, frame rate, and stability of FSX Steam and P3D 2.5. I can always achieve a smooth 30 FPS with occasional drops in high density airports. I run at my native 1680x1050 with an nVidia GT 650M with only 512MB VRAM. I cannot run with maxed sliders but I also never have any weird crashes, blue screens etc... I use both ORBX and UTX and have the PMDG 737.

IMHO, Apple hardware runs Windows via bootcamp just fine (sans good power management) I have a Mid 2012 15" MBP which is the last non retina MBP with Discreet GPU and upgradable HD.  I would stay away from Retina MacBook Pro's 

Using bootcamp, Windows will run in its native environment, utilizing the same drivers that a PC will use...especially for the graphics card.

Beware, that an iMac however, has an architecture  similar to a laptop and will not be able to be OC'd due to the lack of space and heat issues. A tower would be fine though.  I used to run FSX on my iMac, but due to the limitations, and not that great performance (2009 model) I built a PC for that. I use my iMac strictly for web and video / music production.

Best, Jeff