Sign in to follow this  
Brian_A_Neuman

Blurry Textures caused by slow loading.

Good day fellow simmers,

I am sure there is a topic for this somewhere, but I wasnt able to find it so I apologize if this has been answered. I installed WIN10 recently and generally speaking everything is going amazingly well except for one thing. The texture loading for the ground loads insanely slowly especially when on approach. It doesn't matter if it is a default airport or a FSDT airport. The ground is fuzzy and the autogen (which is not even close to maxed out) does not load at all, or takes an eternity. Is there something I am missing? This was not a problem when using Win7. And I am using P3D 2.5. Thank you.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Hi

Seems to have a similar problem : while landing at kiad and on an other airport : my fps dropped progressivly from 20 to a little bit more than 1 .....

i decided to exclude Couatl.exe from Windows defender process and have a better result. Finaly made a test with W defender stopped and have clearly a better result !

This problem clearly came With W10.

Jean Luc

Sounds like a classic case of permissions, but also could be related to install directories.  First step i would take is to create an exception in Windows Defender (and possibly any other anti-virus program) for your root install directories for your sim.  Again, make sure you don't have P3D installed in the "default" directory that it specifies during first install.  A separate HDD is also another plus to ensure a more stable and smooth sim.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

How are your graphics settings set?  Are they maxed out, conservative, or stripped down to a bare minimum?

Some background on my end:  I run P3D v2.5, combined with ORBX scenery, Taxi2Gate's KSEA and flying the A2A C182.  While flying in the densely populated area of Seattle, the framerates drop, but not so much that it's unbareable to fly (high teens to low 20s), but I get major stutters, which don't seem to affect the frames (odd I know).  Once away from the city, the frames go back up to 30s and 40s.  Landing or taking off from KSEA is relatively smooth (considering my rig is a laptop), but as far as texture loading, I get autogen that is in line with what it is set to in my settings.  As for the ground textures, they do tend to refresh a little slower than I'd like (somewhat blurry while overtop).  I tend to overlook that issue specifically because the sim is stable and that matters more to me personally.

In any case, this all could be the end result of too high of settings in P3D, not the right tweaks being enabled in nvidia inspector and/or hardware limitations.  My rig has a pretty good balance going right now so I leave it where it is now for settings.  In your case, you may need to dig into P3D settings first, followed by any nvidia inspector settings and then look at your add-ons.  Chances are good that an add-on may be cause an increased load on the sim, causing it to overlook the need for refreshing your ground textures.  It's a stab in the dark, but doesn't hurt to check it out.

-Jim

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Sorry, I should make this clear. I do not have a noticeable drop in FPS, it just takes a long time to load textures. My sim is smooth, its just slow in bringing the textures up.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

Have you set an Affinity Mask in the cfg? Helps me a lot...Check through the forums for recommended settings..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Have you set an Affinity Mask in the cfg? Helps me a lot...Check through the forums for recommended settings..

What should it be set at? I'll look when I get home from work tonight.

Brian A. Neuman

It depends on your number of cpu cores and whether hyperthreading is on or off...Steve Waite has posted interesting articles and is a expert on the subject..do a search in the forums..it helped me with texture loading by setting the correct affinity mask..

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Tried to copy a link for you but can't seem to do so. Do a search on Avsim for: "Texture loading + SSD vs HDD". It's an interesting article on different Affinity Mask values to improve texture loading.

Peter Webber

Well, my affinity mask is set, now I have developed a new problem. P3D will just freeze my whole system. It is not a CTD, it simply locks it up, to the point that I have to hard restart my computer. Any ideas why this would be happening?

Brian A. Neuman

anything in the event viewer? You are using an unsupported NEW OS and you have problems. That seems quite normal to me. You said it doesn't happen in W7 - that should tell you something.

Running P3D and W10 is a crap shoot. It *may* work and it *may* not. the problem is that whatever problem you run into is NEW territory and no one can really give you an intelligent answer, just guess work.

Unless you enjoy breaking a trail, you might want to go back to W7 until there are more positive w10/p3d users than seems to be the case now.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I had blurries on approach in the Aerosoft Airbus only, and I found that removing the affinity mask setting of 14,  stopped the blurries. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310