Sign in to follow this  
Ianrivaldosmith

Screen tearing.

I get screen tearing no matter what options I select UNLESS I go with the following.

In Nvidia inspector I have to select triple buffering, standard vsync and 1/2 refresh rate. Its the Only way to get rid of the tearing.

This has drawbacks, it induces stutters if the FPS drops below 30, and then shuns them down to 20! No middle ground....

Am I doing something wrong?

I have a 60HZ monitor with 1ms response times.

And a GTX 770 4GB 

with i5 4670k @4ghz and 16GB ram.

Thanks

Ian 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I've done a bit of experimenting with vsync options.

Currently, I use Standard, and 1/2 Refresh.  I found no benefit with Triple Buffering.  I also set Threading Optimization to off (this is very important for some reason), and set for Single Monitor (even though I have three, I only run XP on one), and also prefer Maximum Power.  In the rendering settings within XP, I set the vsync (confusingly described as framerate lock) to off.

I've tried using Adaptive vsync as well, but I saw no benefit in it.  However, perhaps partially due to my graphics card, and partially due to the fact that I try to be reasonable about my settings, I never have any issues in maintaining the now locked 30 fps.

I get screen tearing no matter what options I select UNLESS I go with the following

I have a 60HZ monitor with 1ms response times.

Humm. I have a new 60Hz 1ms 27" monitor as part of a new system I have just configured. I do not have any flight sim stuff or other games installed yet, but when I tested my DVD drive with home-cut DVDs I found some tearing during action, like in playback of football and basketball games. Has me concerned, even though I don't see any tearing when watching streaming video via the internet or watching commercially produced DVDs.  What monitor are you using? I tried triple buffering and messed around with vSync and did not eliminate the issue with the home cut DVDs.

Adaptive vsync (1/2) is great if your system can't maintain 30 FPS ALL the time. Instead of dropping to 20 FPS (like with normal vsync) the driver automatically disables vsync and you will drop to 29 FPS, 28 FPS, 27 FPS instead...whatever your system is capable of.
Of course you have tearing then, but 29 FPS with tearing is a lot better than 20 FPS without tearing IMHO. And transition between on/off is "smooth".

Flo