Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Should I wait a bit before buying P3D V3

Yes I tried a flight, all seems great.

There were a couple of things I noticed, I did a night test flight from EGLL to EGJJ. Just a quick and dirty setup, and nothing too in-depth.

My first obsevation was that there seemed to be no lights on landing. Retarctables, taxi and runway.

When I first started the flight, I noticed the frame rate inside the 3d cockpit was very low, down to 17fps.

I tried setting the frame rate to UNLIMITED and it went up to 25fps. On the outside veiw it went up to over 50fps. Is this an acceptable frame rate for a old PC?

Also the default clouds looked too bright for night..and a little bit 2d and cut out. The moon was out, but I don't think that would make a difference?  This is more of a P3D issue. Just a noticable issue. I loved the bloom effect, maybe this is making everything too bright?

But overall I was quite pleased with the flight which was smooth. Even when the frames were bad at the start, it was still smooth and I was able to fly ok.

The landing lights issue is a known bug, it is something that PMDG and LM are working on. Meanwhile, you can see the light splash in the 2D cockpit or you can start the situation at night then even if you go day then night the light splash works.

VC cockpit framerates improve significantly if you change OPTIMIZE_PARTS from =0 to =1 in the prepar3d.cfg file, see this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464695-optimize-parts1/

Any frame rate that appears fluid is a good frame rate in my opinion. Other strive for the highest number achievable, to each ....

I prefer HDR off due to the exagerated effects it has on lighting. Others like it. To me its the same thing as artificial g-forces mimicked by moving the view point. I don't get it but to each ....

See also the Prepar3D forum next door. It's active and there is lots of help available.

Dan Downs KCRP

VC cockpit framerates improve significantly if you change OPTIMIZE_PARTS from =0 to =1 in the prepar3d.cfg file, see this thread: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/464695-optimize-parts1/

Thanks...although to be fair the frames where better than the old FSX set up..I will look at this later on to see if there is more to be had.