Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Updategate: Microsoft is now installing Windows 10 by default in Windows Update

######.

I have a laptop with Windows 8. I have all the updates installed. The only thing that's changed is that when I open Windows Update, the biggest button there is the "Upgrade" button. I don't have automatic updates turned on.

Yup. Installed 10, then reverted back to 7. Now I can't get updates for 7 anymore. 

-- tazz

Nope, MS is not updating your PC to Win 10. Utter nonsense. They will simply be giving you the option to update thru Windows Update going forward.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

With my previous Windows 7 system, and several months ago, I responded to a pop up Microsoft sent about putting myself in line for a free Windows 10 upgrade after the official release happens. Then after the release the upgrade update appeared in my Windows 7 updates list. I had notifications on but install updates automatically set to off. After that, when selecting and allowing other updates to proceed, the progress bar said something like "downloading and installing Windows 10". Despite the fact that was what it said, it did NOT either DL or install Windows 10. It only updated Windows 7 and my Office 2007 programs.

If I recall, there was a method to remove the persistent Windows Update's Windows 10 reminder. I followed that method and after that it left me alone.

I have a Windows 7 based laptop and never responded to any Microsoft 10 upgrade offers, and I have never once had Windows Updates either try or even tell me it was updating to Windows 10. I updated Windows 7 and Office applications on that laptop yesterday. No hint of anything Windows 10 related!

BTW, my new system started life off as a Windows 10 system and other than some issues with Saitek flight control devices, the system is great. Windows 10 removed most all of the frustrating in-your-face user interface debacles that I experienced with Windows 8 on my wife's laptop.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Next year it will be an automatic update when they categorize it from Optional Updates to Recommended Updates.  You can prevent it from installing by changing the settings in Windows Update from Automatic to  "Download Updates but let me choose whether to install them".

I use Windows 10 on my Laptop to test and get familiar with it as it will eventually have to be installed (unless you do not want it for free).  I'm still waiting to install on my main system and hoping it will be bug free :LMAO: someday soon.

Good info Bill.  I was getting ready to post it too as I think everyone needs to be aware.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Even as a recommended update you will still need to click the "I agree" button to the licensing terms and conditions etc. Some user input is required in the installation process. It will not just happen suddenly that one day you have Win 10, regardless whether the update is classified as optional or recommended.

• Upvote 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor