Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Saitek Throttle Quadrants - awkward whatever position

I have had my 2 Saitek Throttle Quadrants for several years and until recently had them clamped to the desk with the majority of the unit above desktop height like this (not my picture)...

Throttle_Upright2.jpg

The trouble with this arrangement it makes using the mouse with my right hand difficult as the units block access.

I then tried changing them to this arrangement (again, not my picture and I have 2 quadrants) with most of the unit at desk height...

Throttle_Below.jpg

But the problem with this arrangement is the awkwardness of moving all four levers. The unit is not far enough forward and I find I have to twist my wrist to control all four levers.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so how have you overcome it? I suppose I could sit much further back but then the yoke and pedals would be too far away.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

I must have really large hands because I'm able to operate all four throttle levers at the same time.  It's a LITTLE ackward however watching some videos of 4 engine throttle quadraunts I've seen that (small handed pilots...  :P ) find it a LITTLE ackward too.

There is a clamp made for Satiek throttles which will make them all operate together (or you make one).

To make things more comfortable, you also might try the 45 degree Saitek Throttle mount here.

Hope this is helpful.

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Interesting post. Yes I have had this problem with all the throttle quadrants I have used over the years. I fixed it with some inexpensive lumber and sheet rock screws. I built a little shelf down from the work station where I mount the quadrant. The levers are then right about the right elevation and distance from my thigh, kinda like the real thing. I also mount the yoke on the shelf. I use the second configuration on the Saiteks you showed above. I'll post a pic later today or tomorrpw.

• Upvote 1

Probably not much help, but here's how I do it. I guess your problem is similar to what you'd have if you needed to use a mouse in a real aircraft. Worlds in collision! I can do without the mouse in my cockpit once everything's up and running.

3562309293a5a588cd1f739f5f15c07d.jpg

• Upvote 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Wow! Impressed with the responses, thanks everyone. Dave, I'm 6ft 5in so have big enough hands and can grab all 4 levers. It's just the angle my arm is at when I do it. I fly two aircraft - 737-800 and Concorde. For Concorde I switch the caps for the single Saitek-supplied one that controls all 4 levers. Okay, so you can't control individual engines but that's not a problem for Concorde.

I couldn't see the 45 degrees ones you mentioned on that link. Must be my age. :Big Grin:

Mark, that's a great setup and an ingenious idea.

I'm useless at DIY unfortunately but it will be interesting to see how others have overcome the problem. I suppose one solution is those throttle boxes (on the ebay link) and I could use the mid-tower case to support it. Only problem there is some cables that plug into the back would then be too short, Arrghh!! :sad:

Here's what my setup looks like. Currently flying Concorde so ignore the GoFlight MCP.

Saitek.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sorry Ray.... just a little wake up, good morning humor!

:dance:

• Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

You could try using the mouse with your left hand.  I'm naturally right handed but had to teach myself to use the left hand for mousing after a skiing injury to my right shoulder.  But I also have the same issue with the Saitek throttle if I clamp it to the desk with the levers in the lower position - kinda awkward to use.

Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Looking at your photo it appears that you have your quadrants positioned much closer to your yoke than the RW physical relationship. You do not have much room to move the yoke and pedals to the left, but take advantage of the few inches that are there (and slide the monitors accordingly just to the left). Then move the quadrants to the right a few inches. That will open up more room for using the mouse between the yoke and quadrants. That is how I have mine arranged and it works well. I do not have a lot of room for mouse manipulation, but it is just enough.  I do have my quadrants mounted flush to the desktop like your photo, but in my opinion that still has the quadrant on a plane that is higher than the RW physical relationship.

Another option would be to do a drop-shelf. Fabricate a level shelf several inches below the desktop to accommodate the quadrants, putting them into a more RW physical relationship. That would then clear up the desktop area above for mouse manipulation.  

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You could try using the mouse with your left hand.

Bruceb

I did suffer from RSI some years ago at work and swapped the mouse to my left. But that is the least of my problems. The issue of the throttles not being at a natural position remains. I suppose that's the compromise of them being attached to the desktop. My old CH Pro Throttle was far better in that you could move it to a natural position but the Saitek is very large if you box it.

Looking at your photo it appears that you have your quadrants positioned much closer to your yoke than the RW physical relationship. You do not have much room to move the yoke and pedals to the left, but take advantage of the few inches that are there (and slide the monitors accordingly just to the left). Then move the quadrants to the right a few inches. That will open up more room for using the mouse between the yoke and quadrants. That is how I have mine arranged and it works well.

I will experiment by moving the throttles to the right but I suspect any improvement will be minimal. They need to be further forward and lower (as in the real world) which would place them under the desk. :sad:

I do have my quadrants mounted flush to the desktop like your photo, but in my opinion that still has the quadrant on a plane that is higher than the RW physical relationship.

Agreed.

Another option would be to do a drop-shelf. Fabricate a level shelf several inches below the desktop to accommodate the quadrants, putting them into a more RW physical relationship. That would then clear up the desktop area above for mouse manipulation.

Apart from being useless at DIY that would then block access to the mid-tower. It really is a pain but given I'm a jet flier and only use the throttles at taxi, take-off and landing I can just about live with it. Perhaps I need to start saving up for a full cockpit! :smile:

Thanks everybody.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have had my 2 Saitek Throttle Quadrants for several years and until recently had them clamped to the desk with the majority of the unit above desktop height like this (not my picture)...

The trouble with this arrangement it makes using the mouse with my right hand difficult as the units block access.

I also have my throttle quadrant in the "above the desk" mode, and use a small table (about 1.5ft x1.5ft) that sits in front of the throttle quadrant for the mouse. The table is slightly lower in height than the desk (and happens to be on wheels). If you used something like that and it had a low shelf (almost at floor height), you might also be able to put the computer on it.

OR... try the reverse and get a small low table and mount the TQ on that which would free up desk space for the mouse.

Al

I slid the throttles to the right and this has helped quite a bit. Access to the mouse is much better and the throttles seem easier to manipulate.

Al. I'm having difficulty visualising your setup. As you can see from my photo there really isn't room for any more furniture. I suspect it's just going to be a compromise to get the least uncomfortable setup. I see to be a bit closer to that now.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray. Good deal on the move to the right. Still, you appear to have space between the speakers just to the left of your pedals. Try moving them more together and then move the yoke and pedals an inch or two to the left. In addition to your quadrant move, the extra inch or two will increase your satisfaction with your mouse ops still more.

I have a small child's table that I can pull over to just left of my chair when I fly, then off out of the way when done. It holds my half-letter sized clipboard and my keyboard when I fly. That way I am not having to reach over the yoke for the occasional keystroke.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank,

There is another monitor that you can't see off to the left. Space is pretty tight on my networked system. The reason for the gap between the subwoofer and the pedals is for my foot when I'm not flying. It has to go somewhere which explains the space. :wink:

I can still move the throttles a couple more inches to the right but they do feel better already. And being an IFR my hands aren't on them a lot of the time.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Ray,

I solved the problem and will be delighted to show it in a picture of my small flightdeck. The only problem is that I don't know to enclose this picture in my reply. I found the green image-knob after that  I was asked for he URL; I do no know where I can find the URL belonging to my picture. I would be glad if you could help me on the way.

Cheers,

Ben

Ben,

I use Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/

Free (up to 3Gb for personal use) and trusted repository for photos etc. If you have an account place a photo in the Public folder, and then open that folder. Click on the row containing the image and you'll see an option to copy the link. You may want to resize the photo to 1280*800 max.

Then click on the Image icon on your reply and paste the link. The photo is available to everyone as long as it remains in that folder.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather