Sign in to follow this  
Skubidus

PMDG's thoughts on making an Airbus?

There are so many major airliners that don't have detailed simulations - I would love a decent E175/95 sim, for example, and I am sometimes prone to wondering slightly when I see very good sim producers making the Joe Bloggs Bloggliner BG-50 Mark II when virtually all of the modern airliners are not well represented in modern simming terms. But, you have to realise that lots of producers in this game are enthusiasts and they are ultimately going to make stuff they want to make, not stuff that will necessarily be a blockbuster.

This hobby just requires a lot of patience, I'm afraid, and you take what you can get. If I were a millionaire, though, I would commission PMDG to produce a customary PMDG-detail sim of the E-Jets.

You actually have it backwards there - They are going to make the plane that has the most demand. PMDG learned this with the MD11, a great airplane but one that was not so popular, just as in the real world. The problem is that everyone has seen a 737 or A320 and probably flown on both, and would probably buy and fly them, but rarer airplanes like MD11, A340, E175/195, B757 etc just would not garner the sales that are needed to make them worthwhile.

With FSLabs doing the A320 in (hopefully) PMDG-quality, and after that the A330, and Majestic doing the Q400 and apparently Q300 after that, PMDG have the NGX and 777 and doing 747v2, the only other major, popular commercial airplanes that would be worth the development effort would be the 787, A380 and A350. Perhaps the ATR72 in modern, Majestic\PMDG quality would be popular as well.

MD11 is indeed rare but  quick look at http://flightaware.com/live/aircrafttype/ just now shows plenty of CRJ9/7/2, E170 and E190's in the air (and also the ERJ's and the 752!). Personally I prefer the regional planes because I like doing shorter flights at lower altitudes. My fav FSX airplane right now is the J41, but sadly it doesn't appear to be operating anymore in North America where I do most of my flying, so I end up doing a lot of fictional flights.

Hopefully Aerosoft will have the CRJ7/9 covered soon but any from the above list from PMDG would be very welcome.

Barry Friedman

Airbus? forget AS, and FSLabs come to X-plane. For Boeing I stick with FSX ... for the time being

I have not seen an Airbus from PMDG...it would be interesting if they could do an interpretation of an a320.  But maybe they just want to focus on Boeings.