Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Is it possible?

Is it even possible that WEATHER from FSX  weather is MORE ACCURATE than NEXT?  I don't mean to be controversial here, but I noticed on a flight to North Carolina (where storms were raging this week) that NEXT didn't show it.  I closed down NEXT and opened the regular FSX weather  (Jeppesen) and the weather was perfect for that locale.  Not only was it more accurate, but my frames weren't as demanding.  i use REX clouds and everything looked great.  Is this even possible?

Stan

Interesting observation. I routinely cross check ASN airport METARS with real world and they are always spot on. I have My Radar Pro on my iPhone and also cross check that enroute with ASN and that's usually very accurate in my area (TX). Excluding security, FAA and NWS do not have a great of restriction in releasing tracking and weather data for others to realize commercial profit. That said, It's really not that surprising to me that Jepp is equally accurate. 

Is it even possible that WEATHER from FSX weather is MORE ACCURATE than NEXT? I don't mean to be controversial here, but I noticed on a flight to North Carolina (where storms were raging this week) that NEXT didn't show it. I closed down NEXT and opened the regular FSX weather (Jeppesen) and the weather was perfect for that locale. Not only was it more accurate, but my frames weren't as demanding. i use REX clouds and everything looked great. Is this even possible?

Stan

Stan, there was an issue recently with the ASN servers not updating the weather. So that's probably what happened and why you saw the discrepancy. And no, the default weather engine is not even close to ASN or what ASN can do, if the default engine was that great none of us would have ever purchases ASN.

Any time you have a weird discrepancy, check the conditions window of ASN and check the dates and times of the METAR codes to see if they are recent and also make sure your in live mode and not manual or historic

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well that certainly could explain the discrepancy.  I will be sure to check the conditions window in the future.  Thanks. 

I will say, though, that the weather built into FSX along with REX textures isn't bad at all.  Not really significantly different weather conditions when I cross-check the two.

Stan