Sign in to follow this  
MrYorkiesWorld

ILS Landings in the 777?

Hi everyone,

I have just started reading through the training tutorial for the PMDG 777-200 base pack plane and have a question about the ILS landing configurations.

Am I right in thinking that in order to configure the correct ILS frequency and course for my destination runway, I have to set this in the NAV RAD page of the FMC, or is this automatically done once the flight planning is complete and I've selected the arrival runway etc...?

I've read about it in the documentation but just wanted to confirm I'm right in assuming that you can't use the NAV radios like in the 737NGX...

I did try but the NAV radios on the 777 don't accept the digits of my runway ILS (111.10) so do I use the NAV RAD page on the FMC to configure this, or will it automatically be configured when I've selected my destination runway?

Thanks guys!

-Yorkie

Am I right in thinking that in order to configure the correct ILS frequency and course for my destination runway, I have to set this in the NAV RAD page of the FMC, or is this automatically done once the flight planning is complete and I've selected the arrival runway etc...?

What you see in the tutorial is all that's required: select the ILS approach on the DEP/ARR page.

As an additional note, there is no such thing as an "ILS landing" - it's an ILS approach and autoland, or simply an autoland. That might sound a bit pedantic, but there's a vast misconception in this hobby that most landings are autolands, and that an ILS always leads to one. The ILS provides the approach, and the autoland simply uses it to execute its functions. In the future, we will likely also have RNAV to autolands.

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

I did try but the NAV radios on the 777 don't accept the digits of my runway ILS (111.10) so do I use the NAV RAD page on the FMC to configure this, or will it automatically be configured when I've selected my destination runway?

There is no reason to manually configure this, but do note that the required format for an ILS frequency is XXX.XX/YYY, where the Xs are the freq and Ys are the course.

Example:

111.30/011

FCOMv2 11.40.31

Kyle Rodgers

or is this automatically done once the flight planning is complete and I've selected the arrival runway etc...?

This is the way it works. Forget trying to set anything on the NAV RAD page.

This is the way it works. Forget trying to set anything on the NAV RAD page.

Except it's worth knowing how to use the NAV RAD page in case the FSX scenery ILS frequency differs from your current AIRAC data.

• Upvote 1

ki9cAAb.jpg

And it is also nice to know how to tune VOR fix....so that you are not totally depending on Autotune to tune things exactly how you need them (like when you need a certain radial or DME distance for a procedure)

Rob Robson