Sign in to follow this  
MrYorkiesWorld

Knowing the Right Altitude to Capture the Glideslope?

I just did a scan of the raw ARINC 424 data that I have access to and found that all ILS approaches have a defined Final Approach Fix.

It because most ILS approaches are also Localizer approaches. Most of the time FAF underlying ILS.

P.S. Some conisder GS intercept  "lightening bolt" also called PFAF precision approach final fix

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Technically speaking ILS doesn't have FAF; 

For an ILS approach it is called the Outer Marker (OM)

Yes that is correct. SID /STARs are seldom assigned for small aircraft.

Currently I own 172P equipped with GNS430W. I can do some precision GPS approaches, but generally speaking ATC wouldn't like me to plug up the traffic and ask for best vector speed; therefore, most of the time they do prefer to vector me around :) Yes I'm spoiled :)

I used to own 182 it was tiny bit faster, more comfortable, and had better useful load. In this aircraft I used to shoot approaches at 100-120 mph which made ATC very happy. Unfortunately 172 is less stable platform in this respect, slower, but more useful for flight instructing purposes.

Good post. ATC is not normally courteous to small GA aircraft at busy commercial airports, and speed is important to them to maintain spacing. The table of approach speeds and descent rates I pointed to with the link in post #25 in this topic is a very good reference, and it is always important to know in advance the standard approach speed and controls configuration for the aircraft you are flying. But you must always be ready and have references at your fingertips, especially flying into busy ATC controlled airports.  You may be expecting to slow to say 120 knots by the time you hit the FAF or OM, but ATC may turn you onto the final approach course and instruct you to keep up your speed to the marker. So if you are at 140 knots IAS, if instructed they expect you to maintain that speed until then. That can change everything as it will put you farther into the approach before you start to slow, and when you do so you are also then in descent, which makes it all the more challenging as you are then fast vs your anticipated approach, and you will need a steeper descent because of the speed.  

ATC has also been known to vector you to the marker and turn you onto the final approach course there.  You must be prepared for any of this to happen.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

For an ILS approach it is called the Outer Marker (OM)

Not all ILS approaches have OM. First example come to mind KCRQ

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Not all ILS approaches have OM. First example come to mind KCRQ

Just saying in response to the comment that ILS do not have a FAF, that the equivalent is an OM. 

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The easiest way to to find out if you don't have charts is to look in the fmc on the last legs page. You will see your faf with the altitude