Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Finally went to Win10

A little apprehensively, I decided to hit install on win10 this morning.  Seemed to be quick and painless, and I am rather surprised that I'm getting 45-50fps in the Majestic Q400, when in exactly the same scenario with exactly the same settings but under win7 immediately before installing 10, I was only getting 20-25fps.

I've not read anything that would substantiate why technically this might be the case and I was certainly not expecting it, but its one particular gift horse I'm not looking in the mouth!  Has anyone else had similar surprising results, or may be able to offer an explanation as to why I'm seeing this apparent increase due seemingly to only the change of OS?  I'm on an old i5 2500K @4.7 GHz and running a fairly old and very average Radeon 7950 3Gb....

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Hmmm. Reading with interest as I have a new SSD to go in my machine, which I will use as the system drive. Currently have W7, and could go to W10 before I do the install to get a clean image of W10 onto it...

Hi Kevin, did you just upgrade or do a clean install?

Hans

That sounds like the result of a clean install rather than going from one OS to W10. Any clean install will make a PC much faster. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

My intent was to upgrade, then wipe it all and install a clean win10 OS, but these results were just from the upgrade....nothing else. No changes to scenery, no additions or deletions addon wise, no hardware changes... The best hypothesis I can come up with so far is that the AMD win10 drivers are massively better and I've been GPU limited before, but I'm not sold on that unless other pll have had similar experiences with similar hardware! I may still do the clean install but I'd like to understand why I'm seeing this first!

Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

Hi Kevin

I was having issues with FS Commander causing P3D to stutter badly once it was connected ...

I tried everything to sort it and in sheer desperation upgraded to Win 10 from 7 and guess what ... the problem went away .. also getting better frame rates ... my only issue is GoFlight modules occasionally not working which is a bit of pain

Paul

Maybe it's just that the GPU setup was defaulted when you installed Win10. I had to recreate NVidia profiles. Dropping AA from the sim would improve the fps.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Maybe it's just that the GPU setup was defaulted when you installed Win10. I had to recreate NVidia profiles. Dropping AA from the sim would improve the fps.

I cant really comment on that Steve, as I dont recall ever messing with the AMD catalyst settings. Its certainly something I'll have a look at to see if I can cripple performance back to a Win7 level, which may explain some things.. :P

I'm reconsidering my intent of investing in a 980ti now though...

Thx K

xaP1VAU.png