Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Sound advice please

I have really neglected the sound on my FS rig using a very old sound setup that I think a relative gave me years ago.  Its probably 20 years old (maybe thats a good thing).  I have invested in a nice headset for FS2Crew and Vatsim (Logitech G930 Wireless).  I hear PMDG and others talk about the amazing sounds of their addons but really don't experience it in my sim.  So the question is what are you guys using for sound systems?  Going with 2.1 or 5.1 ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have really neglected the sound on my FS rig using a very old sound setup that I think a relative gave me years ago.  Its probably 20 years old (maybe thats a good thing).  I have invested in a nice headset for FS2Crew and Vatsim (Logitech G930 Wireless).  I hear PMDG and others talk about the amazing sounds of their addons but really don't experience it in my sim.  So the question is what are you guys using for sound systems?  Going with 2.1 or 5.1 ?

I use the digital out from the motherboard to a 100 Watt amp and then onto some big HIFI type speakers.

Sounds pretty good plus I guess you save a few CPU cycles letting the amp decode the digital signal.

I also have those G930s for voice.

gb.

Nothing special here.  Onboard sound from my P67A mobo, sennheiser headset or Logitech Z530 with 2.1 setup (5.1 capable but I rarely use that)

A separate sound card is nice if you listen to music cd's and really need high fidelity sound, but for most of us the onboard sound chip is just fine.  I have found with mine that the jacks at the rear of the case produce great sound, but I also have jacks on the front of the case and from those jacks I get poor sound and a lot of electronic noise.  The thinly insulated wires that came with my case are the real issue, so beware of that potential.