Sign in to follow this  
Simmer2050

Beware Control Realism Setting in P3DV3 is no longer like FSX or previous P3D

Came close to damaging my Saitek X65 cause I always set Max controls realism by default.

But I have come to conclusion on my setup that when you go above around 25% on this setting, the controls are no longer realistic.

There have been reports of folks fighting rudder in 737 during taxi with not much wind blowing.

If you take the time to investigate the realism setting and compare with windy/clear weather, on my system setting max is totally unrealistic controls response to wind effects.

Any tips welcome, but  getting similar results at 25% to what I used to see in FSX @100 Realism.

Basically I think p3d has issues regards the way controls react to wind as you go above around 25%

So before you over stress your expensive joystick rudder like I was, maybe time for a reality check :Shame On You:

I have noticed that it's extremely hard to correct for the crab on the flare for wind in P3D. It feels like the rudder is useless when fighting a 15 kts crosswind. That's not even a hard crosswind

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I am hoping someone can prove me wrong about this so I can find good reason to hit control realism settings back to 100%.

Just went from 25% to 30%, and already starting to stress joystick in a way that will have you needing another joystick soon.

Granted X65 is a bit heavy, its the best stick for landing ever, so long as you don't fly fighter jets its Best stick. Definatly recommend it for noobs leering landing.

Back on topic would appreciate feedback from others maybe this needs support ticket on LM.

cheers

Changed my realism settings to 1/4 way up and I confirm that it feels easier to fly the plane. More realistic in my experience. I also like the new in game calibration. FSUIPC controls are now a thing of the past for me. The only thing I do not have mapped is the Steering tiller because it's not available now on P3D

Signature.png

thanks for heads up on calibration tool, still in p3dv3.As you can see am still setting up v3, v3.1 still a step too far.

Hopefully if more folks can confirm possible issue ,  a good Samaritan will eventually inform LM

cheers

Are you setting all the realism sliders to 25% as in the pic?

Capture.jpg

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

Hi,

The unwritten rule says (deeply from the time the first high fidelity flight-models appeared in FSX) that those sliders should NEVER be anywhere else but on 100%.

Lowering those sliders will completely screw the flight model and take away realism. Good and well designed flight models are always done for never lowering those values, so any sort of control related "excuse" will at the same time fleece off the most desired realism factor.

I guess very few virtual pilots want an "easy" flight model, most prefer realism and below 100% the realism is simply gone.

Potroh

• Upvote 1

Capture.jpg

Yes here

Hi,

The unwritten rule says (deeply from the time the first high fidelity flight-models appeared in FSX) that those sliders should NEVER be anywhere else but on 100%.

Lowering those sliders will completely screw the flight model and take away realism. Good and well designed flight models are always done for never lowering those values, so any sort of control related "excuse" will at the same time fleece off the most desired realism factor.

I guess very few virtual pilots want an "easy" flight model, most prefer realism and below 100% the realism is simply gone.

Potroh

That is the argument. In FSX it did feel easy when you set it to anything but 100%. The argument he is making that I have noticed is that the flight model over power's control inputs from the pilot in P3D. For example wind drift is nearly impossible to correct for on low airspeed . I've never flown a plane that reacts like that in my hours in the air with a 15 kts crosswind.

Signature.png

I'm flying with 100% in V3.0 and haven't noticed any problem

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I'm flying with 100% in V3.0 and haven't noticed any problem

ditto in 3.1

Lyn the trucker

FSX - XP11 - MSFS         Ryzen 5900x - Asus X570 VIII Hero - RTX 4090 - G.SKILL Trident 32 GB DDR4 - WD SN750 M2 1TB + Samsung SSD 250GB - HP Reverb G2 - Win 10/64

Hi Folks,

Yeah - just purchased my first A2A products - while they are EXCEPTIONALLY well done - I've noticed crosswinds are pretty tough and ground effect almost seems like launch you like a catapult back into the air (I believe A2A does their own things outside of P3D)... I was wondering if there was a way to adjust these effects... For the record - I've made plenty of real world landing in a several different types of SEL GA aircraft for the comparison and the P3D effects seem a bit exaggerated...

Regards,
Scott

• Upvote 1

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

My tests were in v3.0.

to confirm you need to start by]

1. Turn weather off by setting to clear all weather

2. Turn Controls all bar to the left

3. You need to set those to calibrate your joystick properly , then taxi to get an idea what things should really feel like.

4.From there add any weather with wind, realism still at easiest , and things should feel pleasant.

5.Now turn control realism to 25% as posted in picture above in this thread.

6.Now try 100%  

I have a read a post here on Avsim p3d of a 737 pmdg pilot, fighting rudder on runway cause of 3 knots crosswind. You choose, Your JoyStick or P3D uncalibrated controls realism settings :diablo: pay your money take your choice.

I hope they fixed in 3.1, just installed not tested so far.

That is the argument. In FSX it did feel easy when you set it to anything but 100%. The argument he is making that I have noticed is that the flight model over power's control inputs from the pilot in P3D. For example wind drift is nearly impossible to correct for on low airspeed . I've never flown a plane that reacts like that in my hours in the air with a 15 kts crosswind.

The flight model does not and cannot over power the controls.

In the .air file those are tables (curves) that regulate how control surfaces react to density altitude, side forces, etc. Therefore it only works as should at 100%. Any lower values simply effect the well-designed curves as such, that they slowly becomie flat lines towards the lower settings and ALL realism is gone, even if in certain cases it is easier to handle the plane.

Control sensitivity and other issues need to be solved on the level of the controls and NOT by artificially ruining the flight-model.

Potroh

@Potroh

I thanks for the detailed explanation, but we have folks flying 737 fighting rudder due to very little cross wind, that was all the Information I needed after my suspicions.

All what you say I think is true for fsx and eelier versions of p3d.  Always used to set max realism in fsx after every new install and boy did I reinstall fsx

But on my system 100% in fsx is like 25% in p3d

My interpretation of that is, there is an issue in way p3d handing this, or their control realism slider has not been properly CALIBRATED.

All what you say I think is true for fsx and eelier versions of p3d. Always used to set max realism in fsx after every new install and boy did I reinstall fsx
But on my system 100% in fsx is like 25% in p3d

My interpretation of that is, there is an issue in way p3d handing this, or their control realism slider has not been properly CALIBRATED.

That sounds like a control problem, probably specific to the stick/yoke being used. The known control problems in 3.0 could easily be the cause.

Saying this because NOTHING has changed even near the dynamic part, neither in 3.0 nor 3.1

Potroh