Sign in to follow this  
carguy4471

What to use for video recording?

I've done some searching around and the results are mixed, and dated, so here is the mission.....

I'd like to record a few tutorial videos.  There are a few topics on the usage say, of the G1000, that I had to dig and dig for. As I get better with it, I'll make a tutorial so other users can watch and not have to dig quite as much.   Ideally, I'd like to record them real time and narrate as I fly.  I'm certainly no procedural ace or anything but I could put together some useful information.  I'm getting pretty solid with my caredado malibu with actually only has the 530/430.  

I've read about fsrecorder a little and how folks use playback and fraps the playback but audio is an issue here.  I'd like to keep it simple.  What are folks using??  I've seen some great narrated videos in HD that look brilliant.  My system isn't top end but it's stout enough for most tasks.  6 core AMD with 16gb of ram.  System resources while sim'ing rarely hit 30% cpu or ram so I'm hoping I've got enough performance room to do some HD recording while narrating.

What direction should I go folks??   Fraps?  Gamecam??  Something else??

Guest JustanotherPilot

Open Broadcaster, it's free, opens source, it  can do game or screen capture as well as streaming and the ability to configure many settings to suit. Records in MP4 format. I've found it to be much better and user friendly to Fraps and Shadowplay. There are numerous instructional YouTube videos available.

Here https://obsproject.com/

Open Broadcaster, it's free, opens source, it  can do game or screen capture as well as streaming and the ability to configure many settings to suit. Records in MP4 format. I've found it to be much better and user friendly to Fraps and Shadowplay. There are numerous instructional YouTube videos available.

Here https://obsproject.com/

That's great news!!   Thank you!!   Can it record at full resolution without a massive hit to system performance?

Not sure if you've upgraded to Windows 10, but there's a build in DVR; part of the Xbox app that is great for capturing screen shots and recording videos.  I've been playing around with it and it works great!  If I get a chance, I'll post a link to a video I took this morning flying into KIAD.

Mike

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

Guest JustanotherPilot

That's great news!!   Thank you!!   Can it record at full resolution without a massive hit to system performance?

Yes I record at 2560 x 1440, crystal clear, I use with win 7 and win 10, you can choose your desired fps as well, I've found 35 fps at 2560 x 1440 works best for me.

Yes I record at 2560 x 1440, crystal clear, I use with win 7 and win 10, you can choose your desired fps as well, I've found 35 fps at 2560 x 1440 works best for me.

Even better!!   Lastly, can I setup my mic on a hotkey for narrating the video??  If that's a go I will give this one a try.  I'm hoping to have my first video recorded and up on Saturday of this week, so that leaves tonight and tomorrow to sort out and install/config a recording solution.   

Guest JustanotherPilot

Yes, why not visit the link I posted, it will answer  all of your questions, google or YouTube it.

I do have windows 10, I don't have an xbox though.  Not sure if that part is needed.

Nope, you don't need an XBox to us the Windows 10 Xbox app.

Mike McWilliams

Asus Rog Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Intel i9-9900ks CPU, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 TI video card, G.Skill  TridentZDDR4 32GB SDRAM, Samsung NVMe SSD 970 1TB

Yes, why not visit the link I posted, it will answer  all of your questions, google or YouTube it.

Advise taken.  Watched a couple youtube vids, installed and recorded a short flight.  I am exporting a clip of that flight now to upload and have everyone take a peek, will post a link shortly!!

Too much fun!!!  What a blast!!

Thank you all so much!!

Bandicam is what I use for both screen and game capture. Records both your voice and game/desktop sounds. JJ

Video is up!!

https://youtu.be/EybiOwRxXC8

You forgot to unlock your video for public viewing. Video can't be viewed!

Bandicam is what I use for both screen and game capture. Records both your voice and game/desktop sounds. JJ

You forgot to unlock your video for public viewing. Video can't be viewed!

I did not hit the publish button, good catch.  I apologize.  

• Upvote 1

Great video! Cockpit and voice sound levels are just right and thank God no music in the background. I look forward to more instructional videos from you on using the Garmin. Despite several tries at mastering the Garmin, no doubt I would benefit from your expertise.

All the best for the New Year.

JJ

Guest JustanotherPilot

Glad to see your up and running and have found OBS suitable, I tried them all and found it to be the most suitable for my use.....and an added bonus of being free. You'll find plenty of free plugins available for various tasks as well. I really like the voice over that tells you when recording has started/stopped. BTW I found your video very interesting, keep them coming.