Sign in to follow this  
Bandselect

FSX or P3D?

Looking to do a fresh build of FSX (for reasons I don't want to get into) but before beginning wondering if this should be the time to switch to P3D. I have been running FSX in Windows 10, with DX10 Fixer, and mostly fly PMDG aircraft (like 95%+) of the time. I know one tradeoff would be the permanent loss of the MD11 which is a big negative. Using REX, OPUS, PFPX with great results in my existing FSX build.

From a developers perspective, could I ask what PMDG and the reader's on this board view as the pro's and con's of FSX or P3D?

Thanks,

S. Robins0n

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The only drawback I can think of is that you will loss some addons. Some like the PMDG stuff you will have to repurchase.

You can have both installed so you can still fly the MD11 in FSX.

I think that P3D is a very good road to cut ties with FS past and get a foot hold in FS future. Lots of user have invested large in FSX. In the thousands of dollars. Going with P3D V2+ has saved a lot of that investment from the grave yard.

Consider if another platform with an SDK had come along that was entirely new and feature rich. A worthy successor to FSX if you will that delivered superb graphics in HD at 60FPS at high setting and could accommodate realistic addon scenery, weather and PMDG quality aircraft etc., but cut ALL backward compatibility so you are using the vanilla version until the DLC comes along. (Hint and I am being very very optimistic here:-)

Prepar3D V3 saves a lot of your investment from the scrap yard and its made by no other than Lockheed Martin.

I am 100% on board with P3D. I also have FSX/FSXSE and XPlane platforms but only for testing. This is my opinion, and opinions vary.

DX11 is feature rich, looks great and with v3 LM has moved significant processing from the CPU to the GPU, to the point it maxed out my GTX750Ti and I've moved to a GTX980Ti.

Every scenery I've tried that was made for FSX has worked in P3D.  Sometimes there are some tweaks needed with some freeware sceneries but with ADE this is very easy and quick.  Sometimes you have to manually add the scenery to scenery.cfg but that is what the SceneryConfigEditor is very good at.

I have my P3D loaded with about 50 nice airports, and much of the OrbxFTX product line. Sure is nice.

This depends entirely on your purpose for using either sim, and this is up to you to determine. If you have questions, see P3D's license comparison page.