Sign in to follow this  
dromeascr

FSX PMDG777 ILS approaches

I've got some question about ILS approaches, can you help me guys? I have no idea where else to look for answers. I'm playing on FSX SP2 version. 

First of all, what the difference between ILSZ approach, ILSY approach and ILSW approach? (Eg: For LGAV there are three different ILS approaches for all the runways, and I don't know which one to choose).

Secondly, (this one is more like an issue) most of the times, although the ILS frequency is the correct one, It won't establish (In the PDF, three dashes will be displayed next to DME no matter how close to the runway I get). As a result, the localizer and the G/S are inoperative, and I can't perform an ILS approach nor an Autoland. Is this an issue or something? Or I'm doing something wrong? (I never load Cold and dark mode, and when I do, I always delete the prev ILS frequency before choosing my approach in the DEP/ARR page). And when it DOES capture DME, it would be less than 25nm from the runway (I have seen y/t vids where it captures DME from hundreads of miles away) and it still isn't always work as it should. (Sometimes the G/S although armed, never engages, resulting in NO AUTOLAND)

Are all those an issue? or I'm doing something wrong? Have you got guys any tips so I can improve my ILS approaches?

I'm looking for answers and I have no idea where else to look. Please help me guys. 

Thanks in advance. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Find a set of approach charts for each of the procedures. You will clearly see the differences... The differences may lie in the initial fix of the approach for example.

You need to select the approach that matches best with your arrival procedure. If your final fix on the STAR is ABCDE, then select the ILS approach that starts from ABCDE.

Sorry, cannot help you with the other issue, as I do not have the 777 yet (it IS on my list, but so are a lot of other things)

A

In the PDF, three dashes will be displayed next to DME no matter how close to the runway I get

This could simply mean that the LOC array does not have an associated DME. This is pretty normal.

As a result, the localizer and the G/S are inoperative, and I can't perform an ILS approach nor an Autoland. Is this an issue or something? Or I'm doing something wrong?

This could simply mean that the sim scenery you're using isn't using the correct frequencies compared to the real world. Keep in mind that FSX is now over a decade old, so if you haven't updated the scenery, but you're using new charts, things could be very, very different.

And when it DOES capture DME, it would be less than 25nm from the runway (I have seen y/t vids where it captures DME from hundreads of miles away) and it still isn't always work as it should.

The default FSX LOC arrays are hard coded to about 20-25. You can adjust this with custom scenery. I highly doubt an aircraft would read DME info from hundreds of miles away for a LOC installation. They're intentionally lower-powered installations so that you can use the same frequencies in several locations.

Thanks in advance. 

Full names in the forum, please - first and last.

This could simply mean that the sim scenery you're using isn't using the correct frequencies compared to the real world. Keep in mind that FSX is now over a decade old, so if you haven't updated the scenery, but you're using new charts, things could be very, very different.

This one sure makes sense, any sources where I can get updated sceneries? (I'm using Navigraph's AIRAC 1513, and the default fsx sceneries) 

So, the LOC is not capturing because of that, it hasn't to do with DME. I'll have that in mind. Thanks for the response, it really helped me sort things out.

George Argyriadis

This one sure makes sense, any sources where I can get updated sceneries? (I'm using Navigraph's AIRAC 1513, and the default fsx sceneries)

So, the LOC is not capturing because of that, it hasn't to do with DME. I'll have that in mind. Thanks for the response, it really helped me sort things out.

Hi, George,

In addition to what Kyle said,

Take a look in the Map view of FSX and see what ILS frequency and course are showing for the runway you want.  You can manually enter frequency and course on the RAD/NAV page and override the autotune FMC feature.  Entering, for example, 111.5/134 in the scratch pad and clicking next to the ILS frequency section on the RAD/NAV page will put that info into the ILS radio.  If the info is correct according to the FSX map display, the ILS (and possibly DME) should light up.

There are many, many addon AFCADS in the Avsim library.  Ray Smith makes excellent free ones.  Some airports also have pretty elaborate free scenery.  Search the ICAO call sign in the FSX/AFCADS and SCENERY sections of the Library.  They usually come with installation instructions and are easy to install.

Mike