Sign in to follow this  
hesynergy

Slow (and probabably all Aircraft) A2A Comanche Trim Speed Solved by Pete Dowson's paid Version of FSUIPC

Solved...because after at least 10 years of use, I finally decided to do an exhaustive search through all the FSUIPC documents.

The problem was, I had assigned a joystick button for Trim Up/Down, for all Aircraft with FSUIPC's "buttons and Switches" utility. It had worked swimmingly for years, but, in my wonderful new A2A Comanche, was abysmally slow .. I just couldn't turn the trim control crank...yup... on the Comanche, it's a CRANK!...in the OVERHEAD no less... fast enough to satisfy my normal flying needs.

Even more frustrating, I had seen video of the Real Comanche trim control, which, is allegedly a Studebaker window crank handle BTW, being operated rather facilely and quickly.

Here is Mr. Dowson's Succinct and swell answer quoted from page 31 of his FSUIPC User Guide, 5th May 2013.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offset Increment/Decrement Controls

The increment/decrement controls operate on signed (Sbyte, Sword) or unsigned values (Ubyte, Uword), and have a more complex parameter that specifies both the increment/decrement (always positive) and a limit, thus:

<increment value> / <limit>

This allows things like Trim adjustments to be programmed to be whatever speed you like, or even multiple speed if you have enough buttons or levers to spare. Taking Trim as the example:

The elevator trim is a signed WORD at offset x0BC0. For this sort of information you'd need the Programmer's Guide in the FSUIPC4 SDK. Its range is –16383 (full trim down) to 16383 (full trim up). So, when programming your button/levers:

1. Select the "Offset SWord Increment" control to program the nose up trim.

2. Enter x0BC0, or just xBC0 into the offset edit box.

3. Enter 256/16383 in the parameter box. The 256 is the increment and 16383 is the limit. This will give 128 steps between – 16383 and +16383 inclusive (32768 / 256 = 128). If you want a faster, coarser trim adjustment specify a larger increment, and of course vice versa for a slower, finer adjustment.

4. You'll probably want it repeating whilst held, so check that too (but never set repeat for rotary switches which can be left in an ‘on' position, nor latching switches).

5. Do the same for the decrement, with a parameter of 256/–16383 (–16383 being the lower limit). Note that the decrement is still positive—you can only provide positive numbers for this part. It is the definition of increment or decrement which controls the addition or subtraction.

6. When reviewing such assignments you may see the parameters showing in hexadecimal (preceded by ‘x'). This is an optional way of inputting these in the first place, just as with the offsets.

Note: This technique can also be applied to the rudder and aileron trims. Select "Offsets sword increment" with 256/16383 as the parameter to trim the aircraft to the right, and select "Offset sword decrement" with 256/-16383 as the parameter to trim the aircraft to the left. Enter x0C04 for rudder trim or x0C02 for aileron trim into the offset edit box, and then proceed as 3 to 5 above. B

~~~~~~~~ end quote

N.B. The Trim Up parameter works lickity split (gratifyingly quickly for you young farts) by copying the parameter 256/16383 from the manual and pasting it into the Parameter box in FSUIPC...so I thought that doing the same with the trim down button would yield the same great results…BUT...

Head-scratchingly...FUBAR!!!

Do NOT copy the settings for TRIM DOWN from the manual, and paste it into the parameter! Actually enter the numbers for trim Down, by hand… I was frustrated when I copied 256/–16383 from the page, and pasted it directly into the parameter for trim Down and clicked "OK"

Opening FSUIPC buttons and switches again, and pressing on the assigned Trim Down button on my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick, revealed a value of 256/0 as the parameter!

...It gave me...weird action...but we all know what happens when anything is divided by zero on a computer.

...make SURE YOU TYPE IN 256/-16383 YOURSELF and click OK!

Thank you Sir Pete!...Again...

Hope this helps some other frustratee...grin...

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Hello Chas,

An alternative way of speeding up the A2A trim movements (all their A/C have painfully slow moving trim), is to open the aircraft.cfg for the aircraft, and browse to :-

[airplane_geometry]

Then browse down to the line :-

elevator_trim_limit     =

......and change the value to 19, which is the standard value in FSX  (I'm not at my FS PC right now, but I think A2A use something like 100, which is why the trim moves so slowly.

• Upvote 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Thank you both Chas and Bill for sharing how to rectify this anoyance. Much appreciated!

JJ

Hello Chas,

An alternative way of speeding up the A2A trim movements (all their A/C have painfully slow moving trim), is to open the aircraft.cfg for the aircraft, and browse to :-

[airplane_geometry]

Then browse down to the line :-

elevator_trim_limit     =

......and change the value to 19, which is the standard value in FSX  (I'm not at my FS PC right now, but I think A2A use something like 100, which is why the trim moves so slowly.

Thanks J...good catch!

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

I just got my first A2A product (Comanche) this year and noticed the same thing . 

Thanks will try with =19

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png