Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hall

RC4 database...

HI Guys...

recently took delivery of a new PC and am running W10 with FSX-Steam Edition...

Installed FSUIPC v4.949 (latest and full version); installed MakeRunways v4.692.

So far so good...

After installing RC (new Reg Key arrived in about twn minutes!!!) I ran the database which went through OK.

Having installed some new scenery and airports I am trying to run the DB again - but - it does not seem to be playing ball :sad:

What I see is the following pop-up windows:

Is this a wideFS - NO

enter path to FS: C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common (accepts this OK)

then:

RC rebuilding r4.csv   /  running MakeRunways.exe

Finished rebuilding r4.csv

RC rebuilding new a4.csv file

RC finished rebuilding a4csv

At that stage nothing further happens - previously it would have run through the entire system checking airfield files...

Any comments - or am I missing something.

Don't understand why RC would run the DB on the first attempt but not since!

I can confirm that each time I open ANY files I right-click and "Run as administrator"...

Ken ;)

Old enough to know better...
...young enough to do most of it again!

System: Chillblast (Matt Davies designed) Intel i5-6600 Sklylake CPU O/C to 4.4 GHz; Liquid Cooled; Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MoBo; MSI GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb; 16Gb Corsair Crucial DDR4 RAM; SSD plus SSHD drives; Windows-10.
GF MCP-Pro and EFIS + 8 other GF Modules, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo units, Saitek Pedals, Iiyama 19" x 2, 40" smart TV.

From my experience with RC, it appears that everything updated normally.  I always run makerunways manually because of my networked configuration and that takes some time as it parses all the .bgl files.  However, the RC4 database refresh is only a matter of copying over some files and normally occurs almost instantaneously (or at least as quick as you can click the OK button in the four status boxes).

You may want to check your path to FSX though... may need to dive one step further into the actual FSX folder.

M.D.

Thanks for your interest...

The path is correct - I was initially telling RC to look at */*/*/common/FSX but that only resulted in an error message.

When I left off the FSX bit it ran straight away!

Since running the first DB session after installation it took some time to read all the bgl's etc.

I have since installed UK2000 Leeds; Stansted; Edinburgh and Southend plus a shed-load of ORBX freeware airports for Europe and the USA...

I would have expected some attention to the new files installed :(

Ken ;)

System: Chillblast (Matt Davies designed) Intel i5-6600 Sklylake CPU O/C to 4.4 GHz; Liquid Cooled; Asus Z170 PRO GAMING MoBo; MSI GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb; 16Gb Corsair Crucial DDR4 RAM; SSD plus SSHD drives; Windows-10.
GF MCP-Pro and EFIS + 8 other GF Modules, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo units, Saitek Pedals, Iiyama 19" x 2, 40" smart TV.

Ken,

If you saw the message saying a4.csv was finished rebuilding then that's the end of the process. You don't get a message saying process completed (although it would be nice if you did).

You can check by starting a flight at one of your new airports and see if everything checks out.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks, Ray...

I was just "afraid" that it was not working correctly because it was not trawling through the many hundreds of files that usually zip past in the progress bar :)

Maybe it is a result of upgrading to this new mega-quick PC ?

I remember buying my very first electronic calculator - never believed it could possibly work as quick as it did and so spent just many hours checking the calculations the long way with pencil and paper...

Similarly, I was visiting my son and downloaded an item to my Tablet..(nothing happened) ...again, again, again...to find I had multiple copies of the same item and all because he has Super Fast Fibre and (at the time) mine at home was 2.8 MB/s on a good day...

Teknolergy, huh!

Ken ;)

Ken,

Speed eh? It can be a killer in the wrong hands. :smile:

If you saw the MakeRunways program open and display all the scenery layers it was checking then everything is okay. If you didn't see it then something is amiss.

Best way to check is open Explorer, go to the folder where FSX.EXE is located and look at the time and date of r4.csv. That will confirm if things ran okay.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

In your FSX folder there should be a file called runways.txt or similar. This is a log of makerwys operations. Check the date/time under properties to see if it ran. r5.csv is used now and copied in the rc process to rcv4/data as r4.csv which in turn is used to create a4.csv.

You can open r4.csv with wordpad (notepad will not take such as large file) and search for your new scenery ICAO code if you wish. There will be an entry for each runway over 1500 feet. Using wordpad or similar in your FSX folder you can open runways.txt.  Search for the last occurrence (airport EGLL) of one of your new scenery installs. That last section will give the folder path used. This should tell you if makerwys.exe ran.

I unfortunately lost my installations of FSX-Steam and FS9 due to an backup mistake (red face here) and at the same time my XP machine died but as I recall /FSX was after common. I hope to recover my installs soon off of the XP disks.

H:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FSX

worked for me as the FSX Steam Path for the rc scenery rebuild. Makerwys was executed by rc and ran very fast, about 30 seconds, and then acknowledging each OK step by step RC copied r5 to rcv4\data as r4.csv and then built a4.csv. After the a4 finished message wait a few seconds to allow your disk writes to complete before closing RC and restarting for use.

My flt/wx path was c:\users\ronzie\My Documents\Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition Files which I also browsed to (the first time) to load the flight plan. That path is then saved as the default plan path until you browse elsewhere.

Hi Guys,

well ~~~ all does appear to be OK :)

I ran the Makerwys file again and it DID run through every airport on the system at a tremendous speed...

Made some deletions and rebooted the system ran RC database and just the instant windows as described in my first post.

Added some more airports and again ran the DB with same "instant" results...

Made a trial flight from Leeds to Southend and experienced a (new for me!) severe congestion (or words to that effect) and was taken on a real roller-coaster scenic excursion until the controller message "bring 'em in" :)

Everything worked fine so I guess it is all OK...

What I have learned is that (unlike my long and happy relationship with XP) I HAVE to right-click and run as Administrator to ensure it all comes together. Just running the exe from a desktop shortcut I find that some bits work and some bits (same software) don't !!!

W10 is taking some "getting used to"...

Thanks again.

Ken