Sign in to follow this  
DaveS

Just ordered new computers

Hi All,

I finally purchased a new computer yesterday from jet line systems. I know I could do it for cheaper, but really don't have the time or know how to build my own system. The computer I am getting comes with prepar3d v2 pre-loaded on it. I will probably upgrade to v3 at some point. I have a couple of questions.

1. Do I have to have FSX (I do have gold edition) installed in order for 3rd party addons to work, or do they work as long as it lists prepar3d as one of the platform options.

2. What are the must have's for weather textures, weather generator, landclass and world textures, mesh? Basically the things that replace the default stuff.

3. AI traffic. I was looking at MyTraffic but it appears the don't follow real-world schedules (at least that's what a review about it said). I do know how to create my own with flight plans from Alpha India and such places. It's just very time consuming.

Anything else I forgot, please feel free to mention. I appreciate any feedback

The computer specs are as follows:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (64-Bit)
Chassis: CM Storm Scout II Advanced w/ Side Window Black
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Pro, Intel LGA 1150
Processor: Intel 4th Gen Core i7 4790K (4.6GHz Overclock) Quad Core
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H80i Liquid Cooling
System Memory: 8GB HyperX DDR3 SDRAM 2133MHz
Graphics Processor: 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, PCI Express 3.0
System Power: 750 Watt Corsair RM Series Power Supply
Sound Card: 7.1 High Definition Integrated Audio
Primary Solid State Drive: 250GB Samsung EVO 850 Solid State Drive (SSD)
Secondary Hard Drive: None Selected
Optical Drive 1: 20x DVD/CD Burner Drive
Networking: Integrated High Speed Network Ready (10/100/1000)
Keyboard & Mouse: Wired USB Keyboard and Mouse
Preinstalled Software: LM Prepar3D v2 Academic

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Great setup. You should have no probs to run P3D2x/3x however i would have gone for a beefier power unit. Maybe you want to go SLI some day it could help.

Not sure why you don't get Prepar3d ver 3.1 installed. Also it is widely recommended to have your operating system on one harddrive and then your flight sim on another for better performance.

Thanks for the info. They guys at jet line actually called me to let me know they wanted to make a better system and it would be actually cheaper. He did mention that prepar3d v3.1 would be installed.

Question: Why not going for the latest CPU architecture (Skylake) with a new computer? That would be my only concern here.

1) No, you do NOT need FSX at all.

2) Weather: Active Sky Next, Landclass and textures: FTX Global + Vector + OpenLC or GEP3D, weather textures: REX Essential Overdrive HD (but in my eyes not really needed)

3) I am using MT6 and for me it's really ok. The models are a little bit ugly... and I do not really know about "real" flight plans because I do not care :-) What I see in EDDM is the Emirates A380 and the ANA at the gates where they belong and at the time when they are there in real life... But I read that the MT6 schedules are rather old. But again: I do not care. All I want is to have traffic at all airports.