Sign in to follow this  
MarkRey

Fifty-One Dollars!

Guest Shalomar

Donny AKA ShalomarFly 2 ROCKS!!!I just wish there was a bit more effort put out by Microsofdt to earn their 50 X whatever. If there was native support for realistic turboprops, reversers and a bunch of other stuff addon devs, payware or freeware would have an easier time. I would be happy if FS10 had no new default aircraft, but cockpit/systems enhancements across the board. Though when I got FS9 the patch was already out and it was selling for thirty bucks at Staples.Well, off to fly the PMDG 1900C. The one thing I regret about that purchase is, now that I think about it, I really wish I had waited till after they were thru giving the proceeds to Katrina victims. I'm donating thru my supermarket anyway.Best Regards, Donny:-wave

Guest Iwant2flya757200

Yeah, dodn't make a whole helll of a lot of sense, if the price was 15 bucks 10 times more people would buy it and they would make 3 times the profit.

>Yeah, dodn't make a whole helll of a lot of sense, if the>price was 15 bucks 10 times more people would buy it and they>would make 3 times the profit.>I wonder why they didn't do that?

Guest Dakota

It is the free market system and anyone can ask what the want for the price, but we are also are free to say it is too much by not purchasing it. If it were Flight 1, FSD or another reputable company and it was a fantablulous product..... Then maybe. But those companies are too smart to charge that much and know they will sell much more when reasonably priced. CS just doesn't get it! For all the money you fork over, you get a beta product that will probably never be fixed, no support forum and lousy customer service. Gee, sounds like a good deal to me. :+ So they won't be getting a cent of my money. If it sells poorly, that would speak much louder then any words in this forum.

Guest IanGrant

I am not saying buy it or don't buy it. I just think it is an alarming trend. It is already getting to the point where there are great aircraft coming out, but I just can't justify the cost. Ar FS products going to become sports cars with attatched 'someday fantasies'? "Someday I will own that FS plane"??? The only reason I stated that I can understand PMDG getting 54 for the 747 is because it is an absolutely top notch product from what I can see, and based on past experiences with PMDG, it will be well supported, and be of the best quality. It is also arguably the most popular aircraft among flight sim enthusiasts. For me, maybe not, but by and large simmers want to fly the big stuff. Sure there are alot of fantasy Herc drivers out there, but they don't nearly number the amount of people that want to feel perched way up there on the flight deck of a 747. The great thing about this hobby was always that, if the #### thing wasnt free, it was affordable, speaking of add ons of course. I belive those days are coming to an end. Of course, when all is said and done, the companies with their acts together will be left standing, and the companies charging insane prices for for half assed products will be but a memory. But i think things will get worse before they get better.

Guest beana51

I guess we hear it because people are saying something! Agree or disagree.Saying that, A guy once said if ya have to ask how much a yacht costs,then you don't deserve to own it.Some of these creations are pure technical art. Go to any place where pictures are sold for instance. I was looking at a canvas filled with non discript colors, painted by a chimp. The price was more than the cost of a top Aleinware CP. This old lady bought it.I thought she was nuts.So who is correct? Some artists give away their creations,their gifts are my most important treasure.Some affix a price.However gouging soon revels itself with inferior products,and customer discontant..There was a time the true artist lived for art alone,now its just a vehicle ,to make money for their pursuits,which can be expensive,Like Flying! And thats OK too! VIN

I really don't think the issue is on the price. The issue is that the CS track record for quality(external models not included), service and support is about the worst in the business and to slap people in the face with that price is really crass. Right now it seems that they are more concerned with FS painters and people who like looking at and taking screen shots of aircraft instead of people who want fly them. They had better listen up and release a heck of a realistic C-130 sim for that price. If it's not near perfect at release(by that I mean within a small service update), this could be their last kick at the cat.BTW, they should can their 767 plans with LDS out there.Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanic

When CS reaches "pure technical art" then they'll have accomplished something. Schlock art when it comes to systems and panels does not an artist make. Cheers,JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanic

Guest Iwant2flya757200

I wouldn't buy it it the price were .99, anyone that thinks there sim plane is worth that 50 bucks has their had screwed on backwards.

I think the emerging consensus amongst burnt CS customers is that while their visual models are very good and the planes themselves have potential, it's their shoddy customer service that gets everyone up in arms - and rightly so. Given the increasing significance of customer support fora, CS's decision to do away with theirs is at best incredibly asinine or at worst a shady tactic to avoid the real support issues that people are having. THIS is what customers expect as part of an addon: support, patches, and at least some concern to maintain and increase the value of the product. Examples of this abound: RFP, Dreamfleet, Flight 1, Aerosoft, PSS, PMDG, and let's not forget "smaller" outfits like Hifisim, Active Camera, etc. I recently had a small problem reinstalling my Cessna Reims from Neuroflight. Entirely my fault, deleted an email and lost the install information. Within 3 hours Roger from Neuroflight sent me an email with the information, without any condescencion or lecturing about "your fault," "rtfm," and other insults that often camouflage disregard for the customer, as in: we got your money, now shut up. What continues to amaze me, though, is that a respectable flightsimulation site like avsim allows CS to advertise. I mean, someone has to draw the line in the sand somewhere. ricardo

>>Here you go again Alex...............>No one is insulting you for wanting to pay $50 for an ad-don.>That my Friend is your own individual choice. I can't>understand why you keep taking this inferiority complex about>your purchases.>Yes with the "one day they will learn" comment is an insult>We are all different, to some of us $50 or, its pounds>sterling equivalent is a lot of money.>Therefore, the expectation for VALUE FOR MONEY is higher.>Similarly, if you bought a Rolls Royce car, you would expect>to get many many trouble free miles of use from it. You>certainly wouldn't expect it to drive along with jerky (To>quote an example) transmission, would you?>And you honestly believe if you spend a lot of money for a car you will have no issues with it and it will never need service? Programming is complicated and bugs arise very easily. If you had any patience you wouldn't sit on your high horse about how greedy PMDG is>If, on the other hand, you bought a 'banger' or what you call>a s/hand car over there?, you would half expect it not to run>as smooth.>bad analogy to begin with>The 'legendary herk' as they intend to call it has been on the>drawing board for years. C.S. have now won a reputation among>true flight simmers for not finishing their products properly;>a-la-707 and 727 so, with that in mind - the price expected>for the Herc is now totally unrealistic. Their fault, not>ours.>I am not defending Captain Sim because I know how horribly buggy their add-ons are, and how little they do to fix them. I am talking about other add-on companies who are raising their price, such as LDS charging almost 40 dollars, and PMDG now over 50>>Yet another one of your arrogant, ignorant and unwelcome>comments Alex! What makes you believe that people laugh at>your requirements?>Arrogant ignorant and unwelcomed? gee that sounds like you in a nutshell. From figuring out how much PMDG "could" charge to how much they did charge and proclaiming greed made the decision for them. Once again I ask Mr Pot to meet Mr Kettle>The PMDG 747 you keep referring to is not the subject of this>thread. The thread starter was just giving HIS opinion of the>way software is going. He is entitled to say that, he hasn't>asked to know how fat your wallet is?>My wallet isn't fat. But in this world people don't work for free. If simmers demand as much realism as possible, don't be surprised when you see prices continue to rise because of the cost of developing said expensive add-ons gets higher and higher>Don't forget that we are ALL individuals with our own ideals.>>Dave T. .........On the lovely warm Devon Riviera and active>'Flight-Sim User's Group' member at>http://www.flightsimgrpuk.free-online.co.uk/And almost all individuals and their own ideals are based on heresay, bias, and flat out illogical opinions.

Guest 4watties

>>Yes with the "one day they will learn" comment is an insult.That was meant toward developers of these products...not the person who buys them. So sorry...not an insult. It is simply a reference to what many others stated here already. MS prices FS at $50 not because of the number of copies they will sell but because it is the generally accepted price for a product of this type. They could easily charge much more. They do not because it would place it out of reach for those non-hardcore simmers. They want the price to be reasonable so that the masses will buy. That is their market. If you don't think that is the case...why do rumors persist about the next version of FS being released (some say only) for the Xbox 360?I contend these same people would be more than willing to buy add-ons if they were also reasonably priced. I certainly understand the process of developing these add-ons. I am in the business of creating computer software. I simply feel these developers could make much more and reach a larger audience by not charging so much. For many $50 or more is simply too much.I was never critical of you or anyone else. Simply stated my opinion that is all. Your assumption that I do not buy add-ons and fly in a vanilla world was inaccurate. I do buy add-ons. I do so only when they are priced fairly and deliver what they promise. The add-ons I buy tend to be more bang for buck oriented. Things like Ultimate Terrain, FSGenesis USA Landclass, FSPassengers, FSNavigator, FSBuild, etc...to name a few. All of these are pretty fairly priced for what you get and their overall impact on FS2004.For me one plane is not worth 50 bucks. For others I guess it is. I would be all over the PMDG 747 if it were priced at say $35. That seems fair to me. I will certainly purchase the PMDG Express B1900D because it is a great plane for a great price. $14.95...how can you go wrong? I bought the PMDG 737 base package for $40 and it is ok but slightly overpriced for what you get. I actually waffled on that purchase for about a month and a half before making it. If the price would have been in the $20-30 dollar range I would have bought immediately. Again it isn't all about price. My perception of worth plays a big part in it. I finally did it because I joined a VA that allowed me to really use it and get some value out of it. In general I just have a real tough time buying ANY add-on for over $35 dollars. Regardless of what it is.As for the Captain Sim Herc...overpriced given the history of their products IMO.

Sorry for reading your comments wrong.But anyway, I fail to see how 50 dollars is too much? That money will buy you a new game like GTA San Andreas, Doom3, etc. Personally I think a new airplane gives as much enjoyment and time and itself is like buying a new game. So 50 dollars isn't that big of a deal in my opinion.Developers have to pay the bills, and they only sell so many copies of games because the flight sim community is small compared to the community that buys most pc, ps2, xbox, etc. games.They have to make a living and cover their costs. And since add-ons are becoming more complicated, don't be surprised when the costs continue to go up as we all demand more and more realism. An add-on like fsgenesis is great, but its programming and testing is far more limited in scope than a complicated aircraft.what will 50 dollars buy you now? Dinner and a movie? A video game? Drinks at a bar? Not much now-a-days. And for 50 dollars I think it's a steal to have such a high quality add-on airplane