Sign in to follow this  
MarkRey

Fifty-One Dollars!

Guest pugsley

Have we developed a cargo cult approach to FS2004?To have purchased a copy of FS2004 is to be entitled to an ongoing supply of aircraft and scenery addons appearing over the internet. High prices can be a threat to this entitlement, hence the anger and insults towards the supplier before the product has been released.

Guest aafuss

Always nice for me to see a new Captain Sim product-the 727 is my favorite (the best one of its kinds). I do like PMDG's 737 as well.

I totally agree with you on that Clay. Your supernice 727 never needed a patch. I guess your just polishing it by a upcoming update.

Rune B.

Guest jennifer

"Always nice for me to see a new Captain Sim product-the 727 is my favorite (the best one of its kinds). I do like PMDG's 737 as well."I quite agree Aafuss. I think Captain Sim has the edge though.

Guest VAA_008

I bought the PMDG 747 after seeing comments that it was well worth it and I saw for myself that it is indeed.Too bad for CS, if they had put a price tag around $20-$30 it would be mine now but what they ask is too much for the kind of reviews I've seen... Oh well, someone else will get my bucks..By the way PSS has reduced their prices big time and their A320-A330-A340 are not bad at all, not to mention their Concorde.

Just for the record, RealAir Simulations has kept its prices more or less the same for the last 4 years, except for VAT charges which were imposed on us by the UK government and which we cannot escape from. The base price of our products is therefore LESS now allowing for inflation than it was 3 years ago. Flight Simming is a very tough market.If a developer feels a product is worth $50 or 45 Euros it's up to them. No-one has to buy.Kind Regards,Rob Young

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

It's always fun to read these threads. The law of supply and demand and the demand for quality will win out in the end. Apparently enough people flocked to the PMDG 747 release to pony up $50+ so I would assume that other developers will try it too. Some will make money and some will have "reduced price" sales.Personally, I have no problem paying up to $25 or so for a good addon. I haven't seen anything yet that I would pay $50 for. But this is me. I'm a dad in a typical middle-income family of 3 with a son in high school about ready to drive and go to college. This is a hobby that I have to put into context with the rest of my financial responsibilities - as we all do. Some can afford $50 and not blink. If enough can afford $50 per addon for their hobby the prices will continue to rise. I will continue to look for medium to high quality addons at a value.Enjoy!Paul

Guest Kingair315

> why do we have to hear of this everytime a new title is released. You don't, just don't read the message, that is your choice, just as freedom of speach gives the writers the right to express their opinion. I just skip them, and go on to read something more important. Personally, I could care less what they charge. It if is good, and one I want, will pay any reasonable price. If $50 is charged for one, and everyone raves about it, will buy it if it is a GA aircraft. If it sells for $10 and everyone complains, I just dont buy it, and figure that saving my money on 3-5 aircraft at lower prices, pays for one more expensive. BUT, I always wait until I see the raves or pans, before acting. What really is appreciated though, is those who sell excellent models, for a reasonable price. I'll buy every model they produce, even if I onloy fly them half a dozen times. I'll buy jets from them, even though 90% of the time I fly GA...Then there are the exceptional aircraft, like the WACO I bought from Bill Lyons for $12. It even included my own "Aircraft Business" name on the panel, and a Hanger with the name on it. Forget how many years Ive been flying it, believe it was 2000 or 2002, and I still fly it about 40% of the time..... AND am still talking about how great it is, and you can NOW get it for nothing. Evidently Bill thought he got enough the first year or so, and then began giving it away. The reason for so many complaints, is that a few years back, beginning in the 80's, peope could create aircraft with a program, and THEY did it as a "hobby." Then, someone got the idea someone might pay for them, began selling them, and then others decided they could do it, as a full time job...Well, I seriously doubt anyone is spendinng two years full time, to create any of these aircraft. If you look at the amount of code in them, it does not even come to much more than some of the free aircraft. As for working for nothing, I know what that is like, and have been doing it for over 30 years. My wife approved of what I was doing, and virtually supported me. That enabled me to work as a therapist, helping those who had no insurance, and could not afford it on their income. It gave me a lot of self satisfaction for years, for the same reasons many have made aircraft free. I did it, because I'd needed therapy since I was 8-9 and never got it, never could afford it til I went to school....If you love doing something so much, you will do it for nothing, do it. If you dont (never met another therapist who worked for nothing) then don't... AND if YOU do not work for nothing, stop complaining because others wont...DO complain, about paying for anything, regardless of the cost, even $1, if it is NOT worth the price charged... Doing so protects others from wasting their money.When someone IS complaining about JUNK someone is selling, why complain about -there- messages when all they want is to warn you. If you want to buy JUNK, just do it, and let the rest of us spend our money on what we feel is worth what we pay for it.

Guest kombi

I wouldn't buy another offering from CS even if it was FREE. Not worth my time to install and delete it.I'm still mad about the 707. Buy the F1 ATR72 if you want a good turbo prop.Mike

Guest Darren Howie

Put me down in the PO'ed crew who got sucked intobuying a CS product.The 727 still has terrible flight dynamics,a broken flight director,EPR gauges which react like no aircraft i have ever flown like the EPR jumping in wind changes.I personally cannot believe the guys above who thin the CS 727 is actually a reasnoble product when it is when compared to the Dreamfleet bird a sick joke on all those who bought it.They maintained their track record with the 707 which again has terrible flight dynamics and from all reports more panel issues.Gladly i never got sucked in again to buy something from CS and never again will irrespective how how bad the C130 will be.Take a lok here and it seems their record speaks for itself particularly amongst the guys who are real drivers on the boards.CS should be run out of town by sunset.Darren

Guest av84fun

I have commented along those lines myself. The economic concept you refer to is known as "price elasticity of demand."With little doubt, a given product will sell more units as the price is lowered by a factor considered "meaningful" by the buying public.This issues are A) How low must a price go to be considered meaningful and :( what will the sales LEVERAGE be with respect to that price?Therein lies the risk. If a price is dropped by 20% and unit sales only increase 10% from what they otherwise would be, the game would be lost.But if the price is lowered by 50% and unit sales increase by 300% then the game would be won.Personally, I think that since the dollar price of add-ons is already relatively low...(i.e. about 4 movie tickets)I don't think many people would care much about a price difference of, say $25.00 vs. $29.00...in spite of how much price is protested on the forums.But my GUESS is that if a very reputable developer lowered their price on a NEW FULLY STATE OF THE ART add-on to, say $5.00, then I think their sales would increase by 5-20 fold. At 5 fold, they would just break even with their results had the price been $25.00 but at 20 fold, they would hit a home run...while becoming the developer most hated by their competition.The trick would be to get people to believe the model was truly new and state of the art...but that would be confirmed quite quickly in the forums.Maybe some brave developer might give it a try....but they better have some BANDWIDTH !(-:Jim

>But for those of us living in the USA, that puts>that plane right at about 85 USD, and absolutely ludacris>price tag.The word you seek is ludicrous. ;-)