Sign in to follow this  

ProATC/X problem

The reason the OP is having problems is he is apparently trying to fly using two different data sets to navigate with.

Correct. I wonder why I never heard about this earlier from Flight1 GTN 750 users. Must have missed the posts about this. Anyway, I decided to uninstall ProATC: I like my GTN 750 more and prefer to keep on using that over ProATC. The ATC is nice to have but not when it seldom works with the GTN 750. I will continue to do VFR flights with default ATC flight following and figuring out the SIDs, STARs and approaches myself, Thanks for all the help so far anyway! :wink:

Correct. I wonder why I never heard about this earlier from Flight1 GTN 750 users.  :wink:

Within the boundaries of my limited experience and knowledge, this is a point I raised several times in the Carenado forum when talking about the GTN750 integration as replacement of the default navigation system (for example, the Proline 21 in the Hawker or the Garmin G1000 Prodigy in the Phenom 300), which is frequently called as Bert's mod (Bert is a genius and provides lots of customizations and optimizations to the default packages to the community). Indeed, I also noticed that the GTN750 database, no matter how updated is, is often misaligned with the current charts and the current Navigraph AIRAC, especially outside US. For me, this is just one of several reasons why I do not like the GTN 750 in such birds (could not live without in some GA and turboprops, though), VNAV being another one. However, most of users of those Carenado addons are so happy to integrate the GTN750 within those business jets that these arguments are apparently very little convincing.

I experienced your problem too while using ProATC/X and Flysimwsare Mitsubishi MU-2B-60 with GTN 750. Parts of my flightplan in the GTN 750 was not entirely aligned to the flightplan in ProATC/X. As Bob explained, I am afraid there is very little we can do about. If you fly in the US, this should not happen very frequently, however.

First, if you haven't already, get the add on ATC chatter. It makes a world of difference.  http://realatc.net/RealATCforPRO-ATCX.htm

Bob, thank you very much for your input. Looks very interesting.

I have two questions:

1. Can you please confirm that this will cost additional USD 9.95? Based on the instructions on the linked page, I am supposed to send an email to the developer with my proof of purchase through PayPal in order to receive a link for the download. However, there is already a link on the top of the page to a ZIP file containing 38 WAV files. So is this free or is this payware? Sorry, I am pretty confused.

2. Also, I am confused about how to install those files. Instructions are "Unzip the file into a temporary folder Then follow the instructions  within PRO-ATC/X to assign your new REALATC GLOBAL folder to the appropriate countries for your personal enjoyment", however I am unable to find this option within Pro-ATC/X. Would you or Jarkko mind to point me to the correct section of the manual or the program to complete the installation?

Thanks a lot

Indeed, I also noticed that the GTN750 database, no matter how updated is, is often misaligned with the current charts and the current Navigraph AIRAC, especially outside US.

Thanks for the reply: it is good to know it isn't me who is doing something stupid. :wink: I fly in Norway all the time and there things often don't click between the GTN 750 and either real world charts or Navigraph AIRACs. I decided to stick with the GTN 750 though and plan my flights using that database, along with checking real world charts and use them as much as possible and as far as possible. I like the GTN 750 more than I like ProATC and sometimes you simply have to choose... :wink:

Bob, thank you very much for your input. Looks very interesting.

I have two questions:

1. Can you please confirm that this will cost additional USD 9.95? Based on the instructions on the linked page, I am supposed to send an email to the developer with my proof of purchase through PayPal in order to receive a link for the download. However, there is already a link on the top of the page to a ZIP file containing 38 WAV files. So is this free or is this payware? Sorry, I am pretty confused.

2. Also, I am confused about how to install those files. Instructions are "Unzip the file into a temporary folder Then follow the instructions  within PRO-ATC/X to assign your new REALATC GLOBAL folder to the appropriate countries for your personal enjoyment", however I am unable to find this option within Pro-ATC/X. Would you or Jarkko mind to point me to the correct section of the manual or the program to complete the installation?

Thanks a lot

It has been quite awhile since I set up the $9.95 add on ATC voices, but I believe they are in a folder in Pro ATC/sound/ATC/                    After you unzip it, the main folder you get which has all the different countries ATC are in one folder in that directory, so it is just a copy and paste for the one folder. Then just follow the instructions in the owners manual that start on page 45 to assign each area you are flying in to the proper ATC folder for that country like USA for instance, when you are flying in the USA.  It is really easy to set up. Any questions, just email the vendor for the ATC sounds, and he always emails back right away. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I like the GTN 750 more than I like ProATC and sometimes you simply have to choose... :wink:

I like both very much.

Problem is they suit (at least in my humble opinion) two different kind of aircraft. GTN750 is a must have for GA aircraft and some turboprops, however is pretty limited as a replacement navigation system for business jets, along with the fact that its database is in some cases misaligned with the most updated AIRAC. Pro ATC/X basically targets liners. I am trying to build checklists for the MU-2, but it is quite complex due to the different items.

Heres a little ATC program L.A.A.P  I run with proATC so I can hear live atc where i am flying it works in conjunction with liveatc.net 

http://laap.atc.free.fr/presentation-en.html

I know it. A nice tool, but...  if all you need is some unrelated ATC chatter in order to make your flight more immersive, you can tune LiveATC.net to any station you like (for example the closest) among those available in LiveATC.net and simply run it in the background. I do it all the time. The problem is that LiveATC.net has a very poor coverage in Europe and South America, where I fly often.

Thanks for the reply: it is good to know it isn't me who is doing something stupid. :wink: I fly in Norway all the time and there things often don't click between the GTN 750 and either real world charts or Navigraph AIRACs. I decided to stick with the GTN 750 though and plan my flights using that database, along with checking real world charts and use them as much as possible and as far as possible. I like the GTN 750 more than I like ProATC and sometimes you simply have to choose... :wink:

Some updates.

Today I used Pro-ATC/X for a flight from LOWI to LOWS (FL160) with Flysimware MU-2. No hiccups with Pro-ATC/X at all. It worked fine from the clearance in LOWI until the destination gate in LOWS. Only problem: the ATC assigned to me RNAV Z RNP 33 instead of ILS15 as yesterday and... there is no procedure at all for LOWS33 in the GTN750. I managed to 'create it' by changing the flight plan and manually inserting the waypoints from WS001 until WS006 including the missed approach (WS007 and WS008). Anyway, this happens very often with the GTN750 outside US.

Later I tried to create a new flightplan in Pro-ATC/X from O60 (Cloverdale) to KTVL. Even adding "K" in front of O60 (in which case the airport is recognized) and apparently succeeding creating the flight plan, I always got the message error in German "Listenindex überschreitet das maximum (-1)" when saving. Same when I tried with (K)S45. Apparently I always get this error message with smaller airports. Any hint?

Finally, I contacted the developer of the Real ATC file set for ATC chatter, but after 4 days I got no reply. Strange.

Some updates.

Today I used Pro-ATC/X for a flight from LOWI to LOWS (FL160) with Flysimware MU-2. No hiccups with Pro-ATC/X at all. It worked fine from the clearance in LOWI until the destination gate in LOWS. Only problem: the ATC assigned to me RNAV Z RNP 33 instead of ILS15 as yesterday and... there is no procedure at all for LOWS33 in the GTN750. I managed to 'create it' by changing the flight plan and manually inserting the waypoints from WS001 until WS006 including the missed approach (WS007 and WS008). Anyway, this happens very often with the GTN750 outside US.

Later I tried to create a new flightplan in Pro-ATC/X from O60 (Cloverdale) to KTVL. Even adding "K" in front of O60 (in which case the airport is recognized) and apparently succeeding creating the flight plan, I always got the message error in German "Listenindex überschreitet das maximum (-1)" when saving. Same when I tried with (K)S45. Apparently I always get this error message with smaller airports. Any hint?

Finally, I contacted the developer of the Real ATC file set for ATC chatter, but after 4 days I got no reply. Strange.

You should post this on the forum, for an answer. http://www.pointsoftware.de/proatcxforum/forum/index.php

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just wanted to say that I've been flying IFR for a week now with the Legacy plus GTN 750 in FTX Norway with guidance from ProATC and things are going very well. Don't exactly know why things didn't work out at first but during the last week I for instance did not have a missed waypoint at all. ProATC was spot on, even with telling me to descent for the various phases of ILS approaches. I started to rely more on ProATC and use the official Norwegian charts less (only as a reference or backup) and that didn't give me any problems. Also the differences between the ProATC AIRAC and the GTN 750 database aren't problematic in Norway.

All in all I had some startup problems but right now I am really enjoying this combination. Turns out you simply need to get to know the program, how it handles certain things and how you should react, like descending a bit faster by default.

I like it how I can simply and quickly enter departure and destination in ProATC after which I let it calculate a route which I btw do not really check out too much because I quite like how ProATC tells me the SID, STAR etc. at the appropriate time in the sim itself. Works like a charm. Pity it can't do VFR but I was already flying IFR more or less anyway so it's not a big problem. And some of the voices could use improvement but it's not a problem in use. I really love how I can handle ATC with mainly the 1 and 2 keys without having an interface on screen all the time. I like that a lot more than some other addons I have seen. And I also like it a lot that it reads the ASN weather, even historic. I like everything about it, actually.

So for now I will definitely stick with ProATC. I see no real need in spending a lot of money on something else when this is actually working perfectly fine in the end.

Just wanted to say that I've been flying IFR for a week now with the Legacy plus GTN 750 in FTX Norway with guidance from ProATC and things are going very well. Don't exactly know why things didn't work out at first but during the last week I for instance did not have a missed waypoint at all. ProATC was spot on, even with telling me to descent for the various phases of ILS approaches. I started to rely more on ProATC and use the official Norwegian charts less (only as a reference or backup) and that didn't give me any problems. Also the differences between the ProATC AIRAC and the GTN 750 database aren't problematic in Norway.

All in all I had some startup problems but right now I am really enjoying this combination. Turns out you simply need to get to know the program, how it handles certain things and how you should react, like descending a bit faster by default.

I like it how I can simply and quickly enter departure and destination in ProATC after which I let it calculate a route which I btw do not really check out too much because I quite like how ProATC tells me the SID, STAR etc. at the appropriate time in the sim itself. Works like a charm. Pity it can't do VFR but I was already flying IFR more or less anyway so it's not a big problem. And some of the voices could use improvement but it's not a problem in use. I really love how I can handle ATC with mainly the 1 and 2 keys without having an interface on screen all the time. I like that a lot more than some other addons I have seen. And I also like it a lot that it reads the ASN weather, even historic. I like everything about it, actually.

So for now I will definitely stick with ProATC. I see no real need in spending a lot of money on something else when this is actually working perfectly fine in the end.

I have been a licensed pilot since the late 70's and Pro ATC, as far as I am concerned, is the closest thing to real ATC that I have come across in the sim world, and I have tried most of the programs that are available. 

Tonight I hope I will finally have time to install the chatter file sets I bought from Ralph Zimmermann and other free packages available on Pro-ATC/X forum. The tutorial video is pretty good.

So far the software is not perfect, but very good and highly recommendable. I already asked this question on their forum, I post it here too, since not all Pro-ATC/X users may be active on pointsoftware's forum..

I would like to create custom checklists for turboprops and business jets too, for example King Air and Mitsubishi MU-2B-60. While the item list may be complete for classic liners, especially Airbus and Boeing families, it is missing basic items for other kind of aircraft. I wonder if it would be possible to record new audio files by combining the existing phonemes in the C:\PRO-ATC-X\sound\pilots\ folders or creating brand new audio files with every item from the scratch.

Has anybody tried that before and is it at least theoretically possible?

Tonight I hope I will finally have time to install the chatter file sets I bought from Ralph Zimmermann and other free packages available on Pro-ATC/X forum. The tutorial video is pretty good.

So far the software is not perfect, but very good and highly recommendable. I already asked this question on their forum, I post it here again.

I would like to create custom checklists for turboprops and business jets too, for example King Air and Mitsubishi MU-2B-60. While the item list may be complete for classic liners, especially Airbus and Boeing families, it is missing basic items for other kind of aircraft. I wonder if it would be possible to record new audio files by combining the existing phonemes in the C:\PRO-ATC-X\sound\pilots\ folders or creating brand new audio files with every item from the scratch.

Has anybody tried that before and is it at least theoretically possible?

I don't know about the checklist question, you might ask that on the Pro ATC forum. As of now, there is no way to record new audio files.